Alone time

* huge time lapse from where we left off*

One day alone. Well what a surprise that was. Usually someone went around bugging the heck out of the two because of their relationship. Except Zane. He didn't really mind them together. But the rest of them were just plain annoying.
Not now though. Kai and Cole finally had a home of their own. A small apartment, but not a bad one. They kept it clean most of the time and didn't cause any trouble with the other residents. But they hated them anyway.
Cole could still remember the day the little girl from the apartment above theirs asked him what his name was. She was such a nice little girl too. Meghan, he remembered. She had been kind to him even though she knew he liked guys. Innocence made her care about everyone.
Her mother on the other hand wasn't so innocent. As soon as she saw her daughter speaking with Cole she ran up, grabbed her by the arm, and pulled her away. " Honey listen to me, if you love mommy you won't talk to that man again. He's just not normal." She told Meghan.
Normal. That's what got to him. He talked to Kai about it that same night and had to hold him back from going upstairs and yelling at their neighbor. " If she has a problem with who we are she can take it up with me! Don't treat it like its nothing Cole!" He yelled. " Kai listen to me. If the landlord starts hearing that were causing trouble he's going to kick us out and well be on the streets. Use your head for once!"
Yes, cruel words and disgusted glances on the street were normal for them. Most things they were used to. But when a parent decides to tell their kids that homosexuals are 'not normal' crosses the line.
It wasn't all bad for them though. They do love each other and that's what's pulling them through. Kai and Coles relationship has been good for the both of them in general but more for Cole. He only liked men, and was constantly called crude names by others. He couldn't count how many times he would walk up to his locker in school years ago and have something like 'faggot' or ' freak' written on it. On the other hand, Kai was bi. He took interest in both genders and was rarely ridiculed about it. It was him who helped Cole get through his older teen years without hurting himself over anything.
And Kai still kept Cole from getting picked on. Including now as they sat in a local coffee shop they went to once a while.
"It's a nice place," Cole thought. And it really was. The lights inside let off a pale yellow glow and it was warm too. A great contrast to outside where it was another snowy and grey ninjago winter.
Cole felt Kai's hand in his. Not grabbing it, just sort of setting it over his. He looked at him and noticed a look of concern. "You alright?" He asked. "Uh yeah. I'm fine why?" "I don't know you just seem kind of," Kai waved his free hand around as if it would help him remember the word.
"Distant?" Cole asked seeing him struggling. "Yeah. Your not even drinking your coffee. It's gonna get cold soon."
Cole sighed and looked down at the cup in front of him. "Just thinking... We're alone here. No loons, except the lady at the register but she seems nice." Kai squeezed his hand gently and smiled at Cole. "So alone is what you want?"
"Yeah." Cole said.
Kai smiled harder, and he thought of something. They were alone. He would finally be able to say this openly without worry of persecution.
"Cole," he said. " we've been together a really long time. And I love you no matter how many people disagree. I know you love me too. So, please do me a favor and strike an agreement with me on this. We need to get married."
At that moment he thought he could see Cole, who was still looking down, smile.
" I promise you Cole one day we will be united by law. I'll make it happen if its the last thing I do. We WILL get married and we'll have a great life together. But, only if you say yes."
" Kai you're not..." Cole started. But he cared more about the fact that Kai had gotten up from his seat and went to kneel down on one knee by his lovers side. Tears began to well up in Coles eyes as Kai took his hand. He reached down in his pocket and Cole struggled not to cry. "Cole?" He asked.
" Will you marry me?"
He turned down to Kai and finally burst into tears at the sight of the engagement ring in Kai's hand. He shook his head as he cried. "Y-yes."
He said.
"Yeah?"
Still nodding Cole kneeled down by Kai and wrapped his arms around his neck. " Yes Kai ok? I love you. You're a jerk, self-centered, and short-tempered but I love you."
" I love you to Cole." Kai rubbed the shorter ones back and let him cling to his worn out jacket as he cried. Cole used to say that if he ever cried in public he would have let down his team and now, he was having a full out breakdown. Kai didn't care though. Cole could never let him down. Not now.