Chapter Two: The Reaping

Start from the beginning

Yuna found herself shoving past the other gaping and slightly relieved looking girls in her category to the centre of the aisle. No one seemed to notice her rebellious act until she called out her cousin’s name as she ran forward but two SOLDIERs intercepted her and blocked her path. She could see Rikku spin around in shock, tears spilled down the teenager’s face and her eyes were filled with terror as she watched the guards shove her cousin back.

“Yunie!” she croaked as she reached out an arm to her cousin, but her hand only found thin air, as her escorts pushed her towards the stage, to the awaiting colourfully robed woman.

“No! Rikku!” Yuna looked towards the stage, only to see Shelinda’s eyes glitter with excitement at the unfolding drama. She felt absolutely helpless as she watched the escorts literally drag Rikku towards the stage, she couldn’t do anything to stop them as the SOLDIERs holding her back made her efforts to get to her cousin futile. Why bother when she couldn’t even get four feet in front of her? Why bother to try stop the inevitable? Why not just give up on false hope, why not quit and escape punishment?

Because your cousin is the helpless one here, you are not! You are stronger Yuna! A feminine voice shouted in her mind as her struggles began to cease and she felt herself being dragged backwards.

I can’t… her head hung in shame as she feebly fought back against the strong voice, feeling utterly hopeless and useless. Despair’s black tendrils began to creep their way slowly into her heart as she felt her eyes shut to close off unwanted tears. The SOLDIERs began to drag her away more easily and Rikku grew farther away.

Enough Yuna! You cannot abandon your family! Pure white crystals sprang into existence behind her eyelids as a beautiful woman’s pale blue face flashed into her mind. She could feel the coldness fight back against the vines of utter sorrow and replace the dreaded emotion with that of one she’d never experienced so strongly before.

Rage.

It boiled within her as the walls of her heart stretched to their limits, the familiar icy power growing within her along with others, wakening after their long slumber. Wings creating torrents of wind, claws blazing with fire, a unicorn’s horn branded with lightning, a dragon’s coal eyes flashing with flare, a samurai sword and faithful companion, a chained martyr of death and finally three blooming colourful flowers, all fighting alongside the iciness in her heart.  She would not let another family member die in those Games; she vowed to herself that she wouldn’t as she glared up at the plump follower of Yevon who was lapping up the drama as a dog would lap up water after being deprived of it for days. If the awful woman wanted drama Yuna would give it to her.

“I volunteer!” she screamed as she pushed back the SOLDIERs with strength she didn’t know she even possessed. They didn’t stumble or trip, just backed off hesitantly, looking towards Shelinda for confirmation. Yuna’s fingers itched for her staff, feeling the familiar rush of blood through her veins as she felt the call of the aeons within her soul. She wondered what it would be like to simply lose control for one minute, to see what she could really do to those who terrorized her Sector, her home, her people. She wondered if others would join her or simply cower in fear and watch the act of rebellion take place. What would Isaaru think? He’d probably tell her to control her emotions and that violence was not the answer, but she knew that his motto would not help her in the slightest for the journey ahead of her.

She tilted her chin up ever so slightly and straightened her back, as her posture shifted into one of balance and composure that would make Isaaru cry with proudness. “I volunteer as tribute,” she repeated clearly and loudly as she strode up to Rikku who was fighting back the SOLDIERs meekly with a look of pure horror gracing her pretty feminine features. They released the distressed teen as they looked uncertainly at one another, allowing Rikku to run straight into her cousin’s warm and comforting embrace.