Prologue

Universal P.O.V

As televisions flashed on all over the nation, the Capitol seal appeared on their screens. All over the country, people tuned in to watch the announcement of the 7th Quarter Quell - every 25 years since the second rebellion, Evelyn Snow had vowed to make them crueller and more exciting. At least, it's said. Images of the districts where shown - or what they supposedly looked like. The thick lumber forests in District 7, the beaches in District 4 with the sun setting slowly over the horizon, the  peaceful orchards in 11, the many majestic meadows in 10 and the endless rows of grain fields in 9.

Suddenly, the image flashed back to crowds of cheering Capitol citizens, waving their arms and clapping crazily. The camera swung round as the newest president, Miss Evelyn Snow, strolled onto the recently polished black stage. She wore a silky tight fitting silver dress that showed off her fabulous figure and reached down her knees, glimmering white high heels and her caramel cream hair in a beautiful French braid that gathered the majority of her hair on the top of her head, strands of silver and white ribbon plaited between the braid itself added to it's beauty. She wore silver eye shadow on her eyelids and a thin layer of pale silver lipstick on her pink lips, noticeable as a second camera possibly planted backstage did a close up off her face.

She trotted up to a wooden podium and waited until the cheering stopped - it took a while.

"Hello, loyal citizens of the Capitol!" she bellowed into a microphone poised exactly for her height. She was immediately met with a louder roar of applause. "Settle down, settle down," she muttered and the shrieks of delight died down.

"40 years ago, our nation witnessed a dreadful time. This dreadful time, was when the 12 remaining districts rebelled against the city that loved for them, that cared for them, that protected them, all at the hands of a certain victor. Now, in reminder of this dark time, we have reinstated the delightful pageant of wealth, of glory, of power and of strength. This year, we bless The Second Generation's 175th Hunger Games, or our 7th Quarter Quell!" she grinned. An uproar of excited screaming and cheering exploded from the crowd until a little girl, possibly around the age of 12, wearing a flowing floral white dress, white flats and a crown of white lilies in her long, wavy fair hair walked on stage cradling a wooden box. Evelyn took the box from the girl and dismissed her, then placed it carefully on the podium in front of her.

The endless swarm of Capitol citizens were quiet now, watching in awe. President Evelyn Snow flipped open a hatch of the box and plucked out a pristine white envelope. Sealing the envelope was a thick circle of deep red wax with the number '175' stamped into it. She sliced through the wax with her elegant fingernail effortlessly.

"This year," she proclaimed, slipping out a small slip of paper from the envelope and holding it to eye level, "As a reminder that the strongest must overcome the weakest in order to survive, alternating genders between districts, a new tribute and a past victor will be reaped to participate in the coming games."

Shocking.