I got up off of the bed and opened the door. Smiling at her, I followed her back down the hallway and into the living room. My eyes scanned the three teenagers, one girl and two boys, including Johnny. There was also a man who looked to be in his 20s standing up against the wall, while the teens were seated on the couches. They were all staring at me, and I didn’t like it. I looked over to the lady next to me, and she started. “Okay! Well, I’m Mrs. Bloom, and I am the founder of this place. My husband comes here sometimes, but I’m here most of the time.” She started, then looked at everyone else, “I want everyone to state their name and a little bit about themselves.” She said with a smile.

“Okay, well I’m Tom. I help Mrs. Bloom around here. I’m just one of the three who help her.” The young man leaning against the wall said.

“I’m Kevin! I like to shop, play video games, and draw!” He said. He was very flamboyant.

“I’m Kyra. I’m a writer and eventually want to get a book published. Don’t get on my bad side, and you’ll be good.” I flinched as the girl with the purple bangs and lip piercing spoke. I wasn’t afraid of her appearance, it was her tone of voice that scared me.

It was Johnny’s turn now, but I already knew a little about him. “I’m Johnny, I work at the mall, and I play the guitar.” He said. I smiled. His voice was like music to my ears.

Now it was my turn, that’s when I got a little nervous. I could feel everyone’s eyes on me. “My name is Lylah. Um, when I get to college I’m going to study to be a clinical psychologist, and I love singing.” I said softly. I felt a pat on the shoulder and looked over at Mrs. Bloom.

“Awesome, everyone! I’ll leave you all to it then!” And with that, she was off.

I looked around the room and noticed Tom leave too. I bit my lip nervously and looked down to the ground. That’s when I felt someone’s arm around my shoulder. It was Kevin’s. “Don’t worry, girl. You’ll feel right at home, soon!” He said with a smile on his face.

I faked a smile and nodded. He was dressed in grey sweatpants and a black shirt that read ‘Fabulous’ in pink letters. It was obvious to me that he was gay, but I was fine with that. Kevin put his arm back to his side and went back to sitting next to Kyra on the couch. She was consumed in a book now, and Kevin was leaning against her reading along. My eyes flickered to Johnny who was standing with his hands in his pockets. He smiled in my direction and motioned for me to follow him.

We made our way to the front door, and then outside. We started walking in the grass and making our way to the back of the house. When we got to the backyard, I gazed at the in ground pool surrounded by a deck. This place had everything. Behind the pool the field continued, and then stopped at the wooded area. Johnny started waking again, so I followed him. The walk was silent and a little awkward, but I didn’t mind it. We were making our way to the trees, and Johnny led me to a dirt trail. It was narrow, so I had to walk behind him. I could hear birds sing and watched a few squirrels climb up some of the trees. The path spread two ways, and we took the left. I had no idea where we were going, but I didn’t say anything.

Johnny started slowing down, and we stopped at an opening. A small creek trailed into the woods, and at the beginning of it was a mini waterfall. There were a few logs placed near the creek, and we made our way and sat down on them. Johnny was the one who broke the silence. “This is where I go sometimes when I want to be alone. No one else knows about this.” He said and looked over in my direction.

“It’s beautiful.” I said softly, and turned my head towards him.

He nodded and tapped his fingers against his knee. “I’m sorry.” He said, then paused before starting back up. “About your family.” His voice was soft and caring.

I nodded and looked back to the creek. The story had been in the newspaper, but I hadn’t read it. I didn’t need to. I already knew what had happened. “If you don’t mind me asking, why are you here?” I said, then slowly looked over to him.

A small sigh escaped his lips before he began talking. “Two years ago my mom and dad were killed by a drunk driver. I was sent to live with my older sister, but she kicked me out after a week, so I made my way here.” He said.

I looked over to his arm. That must have been what the tattoo symbolized. “I’m really sorry.” I said in a soft voice.

He shrugged. “Not your fault. Of course I miss them, but it’s getting easier. And it will for you too, I promise.” He told me.

I didn’t believe him one bit. I knew he was trying to be nice, but I just couldn’t take it. I wasn’t going to feel better; because it was my fault my whole family was dead. I had to live with that guilt for the rest of my life. I didn’t say any of that though. I wasn’t about to unload all of my baggage on someone like Johnny. He’d probably think I was insane.

We sat there talking about just random things. It started getting dark, so we headed back. When we got into the house, Johnny turned towards me and gave me a serious look. “Don’t keep too much inside. I’m here for you.” He said, then walked to his room.

A smile spread across my lips. I had to tell Chelsea about this. I stopped myself though, I couldn’t. I couldn’t tell her Johnny was here. I was sure he didn’t want anyone to know. I sighed, then walked into my room. I heard Mrs. Bloom call that dinner would be ready soon. I wasn’t hungry. I locked my door, then plopped down on my bed. I was so exhausted I ended up falling asleep.