Hunger games/HP fanfiction - Wandless fire

The day of the hunger games were fast approaching and the fear was present in the eyes of many. Parents and children alike awaking to the screams of their nightmares, sweat pouring down their faces as they remembered the horror that awaited them

Each child aged between 12 and 18 must attend the reaping, to see if they were going to be the tribute for their district this year. Those who would be attending for the first time were even more scared, as there was no mercy for the weak.

It was simple.

You lose. You die.

The games were full of slaughter. It was used for mere entertainment for those within and around panem every year. It was wicked and disgusting, but the games were forever imminent and were completely inescapable.

Hermione was one of the girls who could be picked. However if it was going to be her, then she would stand proud and would not rest until she was safe. Hermione lived with Ron in district twelve, the mining district, an area that was not known for its vast numbers of people and which constantly struggled to get the resources needed to feed the many families. So many a time, Hermione resorted to crossing the district border to hunt for her food and to survive.

The sky was bleak and the rain fell onto the ground, the mud becoming slippy as Hermione left her house. Many people were heading to the mines while others, such as children, where sat on their porches regardless of the heavy downpour falling around them. They all looked so sad and empty, and it hurt to see them that way.

Hermione dropped her head, trying to ignore the suffering and watched as her feet splashed into the puddles.

They didn't want to have be thrown into a war they never caused, they just wanted to live their lives and have a childhood they could cherish with their friends and family. Hermione wished for that too, but it'd only ever be dream.

Hermione once again looked up as she passed the last row of houses and waved to a couple of familiar faces as she walked passed. Sometimes even friendly smile could lift someones spirits.

Once the houses were behind her, she began to make her way to the border, determined to remain unseen. When she reached the border, she carefully jumped over the fence. Her clothes scraped the top as she swiftly jumped over in one fluid motion, her feet sinking into the wet mud as she landed perfectly on the other side.

She then slowly made her descent down the hill towards the opening of the forest. Her frizzy hair was dripping cold water down her back and she could feel the droplets of water running against her bare skin. Suddenly a hand grabbed her shoulder from behind and panicking, she quickly turned and punched the air behind her. However before the punch connected, the boy grabbed Hermiones hand, twisting it behind her back.

"Calm down Hermione! I didn't mean for you to assault me! I know the upcoming Reaping has gotten everyone jumpy but gimme a break!" Shouted a familiar voice.

"Oh, sorry! Ron just don't ever do that again you Idiot." She replied as his steps fell in beside hers. "You are so thoughtless nowadays"

"Well maybe if we could all relax, I wouldn't be" retorted Ron his face drooping into a frown as he looked at her, his face turning serious. "It is the reaping tomorrow."

He was right, although she didn't want him to be. Ignoring him the rest of the way, they both then came to the forest opening, and Hermione walked in calmly, grabbing her crossbow as she did. She ran her finger across the tip of the arrow and then across the handle of the bow, checking they were still okay. She notched the bow and brought it up to eye level, surveying the overgrowth and trees. She then fired a shot and a bird dropped from a tree in the distance.

On target. As usual.

Scrambling through the plants and trees, she made her way towards the bird hoping that it was suitable to take back. Once she did, she retrieved the arrow from its eye and began checking its feathers and looking for signs of disease. It was more plump and fatty then she was expecting but she wasn't going to complain about this sudden stroke of luck.

"That was bloody brilliant! But why did you not just use your magic?" Ron questioned pulling his wand from his pocket. "It saves time"

Trying to look smart he aimed at the nearest bush, and with an explosion of sparks and undergrowth, he shot at the animal that had been cowering behind it.

"See?" He raised his eyebrows, in his 'I told you so' look and Hermione rolled her eyes wondering how he could be so stupid.

Notching the bow again, she whisked round and aimed at Ron, shooting the bow so that it narrowly missed his head in an attempt to frighten him. It worked. Ron yelled and jumped in fear, holding onto a tree for support as his heart regained its regular beat.

"What was that for! You could have hit me!" Ron moaned, his eyes meeting hers.

"Because" she said, the irritation clear in her voice as she turned away to retrieve the arrow that had lodged itself in a nearby tree. "You have no Brains. In case you have forgotten in the games, your wand is taken off you and you are powerless. If you want it back, you search for it and by doing so you put yourself at risk of getting killed! I am just preparing myself and using my initiative and maybe you should to!"

Ron's face went pale and she knew her words had hit home. It was true. In the games all you started with was yourself, and the things you wanted had to be found or given to you by sponsors. It was best to be prepared.

"Its getting dark. We should head back" Hermione muttered walking back the way they came. Turning round, she realized he was still stood using the tree for support. "Well come on then!" she shouted as he turned and finally let go of the tree.

"Oh y-yeah" Ron Stammered.

And with that they left the forest.