The Counterpart

“You have a Facebook account?”

“Yes, of course.”

I peer on his shoulder and take a closer look at his laptop to make sure I’m seeing it correctly.

“Whoa,” I murmur.

Nate turns around and pinches me on the cheek.

I scowl at him until he lets go. I still remember what he did when he scared me to death. I thought he was dying.

“How can we communicate with our friends and family if we don’t have social sites?” he says.

I shrug. “I thought you’d rather text and call.”

He rolls his eyes. “We’re normal people. Like you, we enjoy chatting and commenting, and liking our friends’ posts.”

I purse my lips as I consider what he said. It makes sense. But I’ve spent many hours before, searching their real account. I wasted my time and effort because I didn’t even find one of them.

“Can I add you?” I ask.

“I’ll think about it.”

I slap his arm impulsively.

“I’m just kidding,” he mutters. “You’re offensive.”

I ignore his remark and look at the name of his account.

“You’ll not find me, and you can’t send me a friend request if we don’t have a mutual friend,” Nate says. “I’ll just add you.”

“So all the celebrities have a Facebook account?” I ask.

“Yes, basically.”

“How do you distinguish the real ones from the posers?”

“We just do,” he says. “If you’re in this business, you’ll get used to it. We use our second name for our real account. Some even go to the length of using their mother’s maiden name.”

“Are you friends with Hollywood actors then?” I ask, trying not to sound too eager.

“Some.”

“Can I see their—“

“That’s just invading their privacy,” he interjects.

I pout.

Nate ruffles my hair. “Maybe someday I’ll even let you see the timeline of the Queen of England.”

Who am I kidding? I shouldn’t have let my hopes up. Just because I can find their profile doesn’t mean I can add them. They will surely block me.

“Sorry for bothering you,” I say as I get up from the couch. He needs to rest, but I’m taking his quality time with his friends.

“You’re not a bother. Did I offend you—“

“No, it’s okay,” I interrupt, “I understand. I need to go and check some things for your tour tomorrow.”

Nate doesn’t look convince but I continue my way to my room.

I’ve already double checked everything and I’m sure that all the things needed are ready for tomorrow.

I open my laptop and check my own account instead. I have notifications from my friends, and posts asking what’s going on with my life. I tell them that I’m working, which is true.

I’m glad that I’m not friends with any of my relatives because they will find out about my leave from the university.

I have an unread message from Naomi.