Meet the Family

A blonde haired girl opens the door. The first thought that comes to my mind is she’s so pretty.

She has an annoyed expression, but her face suddenly brightens when she sees KY.

To my surprise, she jumps up and throws her arms around him.

He chuckles and puts his arms around her. He ruffles her hair, and I can see that she’s smiling affectionately.

She must be his sister. Because if not, oh God, I don’t want to be jealous.

Apart from the colour of their hair, they look alike; same nose and same mouth. KY’s eyes are much bluer than her sister’s.

I’m just standing here, watching them, when KY finally remembers that he’s not alone, and he brought me with him. He pulls away from his sister and smiles at me.

“Brielle, this is Stella, my sister,” he says, “Stella, this is Brielle, my friend.”

Friend.

I clear my throat. “Stella, as star?” I ask.

She rolls her eyes. “My mother has fascination with stars.”

I raise my eyebrow.

“Just call me Fiona,” she continues.

“Pretty name.”

She nods. “Suits me, right? I’m pretty.”

KY laughs; probably at the expression on my face. “Go ahead and lead the way to the party,” he tells his sister.

“Being conceited must run in the family,” I whisper to him.

He smirks. “Wait till you meet my dad.”

“Is he worse than you?” I ask amusedly.

KY is handsome, and Stella is beautiful. I wonder what their parents look like. I don’t want to be intimidated. I’m just simple and ordinary. I’m just in the cute category.

“What are you two whispering about?” Stella asks, turning back to us.

“Nothing,” I say quickly. “I’m just asking KY how old you are.”

“Liar,” KY murmurs.

I ignore him. I’ve told much worse lies than that.

“Sixteen,” Stella answers. Then she scowls at her brother. “I can’t believe you didn’t bring Nate with you!”

Nate?

“Wait, do you like him?” I ask incredulously.

“I’ve been in love with him the moment I laid my eyes on him,” she says proudly.

“How old were you then, ten?” KY asks dryly. “How many times do I have to tell you that he’s too old for you?”

Stella stops walking and stomps her foot dramatically (only a teen can maneuver that). “Age doesn’t matter!”

“Nate already has a girlfriend.”

“He does?” Stella and I say simultaneously.

“Girls,” KY mutters.

Stella keeps on bugging him about the issue, but I tune out.

I know Nate doesn’t have a girlfriend. I would have known. Maybe KY just wants his sister to move on so he made up a lie.

They are quite funny as they argue about the technicalities of love. I think Stella is only one of the few who can talk to his brother this way.

I look around the house and admire his parents’ exquisite taste in furniture and paintings.