"Val! This isn't  a scribe's office! It's a Summoner's!" She turned around just as she picked up a horned skull. The skull started to glow green, and Val dropped it in surprise. 

"What the blitz is that?!" She asked, retreating. 

"A Guardian key." I said, dread creeping into my voice. "Summoners used objects like that to summon creatures in order to Protect their posessions from thieves!" As I spoke, the skull dissolved into smoke and flew into the mirror. Then it started to ripple. "Run!" I dashed for the exit, but for some reason I was pushed back. "What the--" 

"It's no use. There's a Ward of Trap on that door." Val said. I didn't sat about this southern magic, we had bigger problems to think about. The beast finally emerged from the mirror. It looked ferocious, with the head of a leopard, a humanoid, scaly torso and a set of tentacles. In one gnarled arm it carried a Darksteel spear, and the other simply bore three larger claws. It also had horns just like te skull. It was an Afrit. I drew my blade, falling into a battle stance. 

"Val! Find the Return Key! It should be a claw or something!" She nodded, rifling throug the shelves rapidly. I reached for my belt... No, I couldn't. I made a promise. Not after what happened the last time.

My amulet was still green, so it'd be nigh useless. The Afrit attacked, swiping its claw at me then jabbing the spear. I ducked, effectively evading both, then sliced upwards with my sword. It cut clean through the tentacles, which were hissing and bubbling. Probably an acid designed to melt steel, but such substances were ineffective against Rift. The shining blade cleaved the imp's skull in twain, tearing its limp body asunder. It didn't work, nor did it expect it to. The monster regenerated with surprising speed, broken scales fusing smoothly, torn muscle sewing itself together again. Most demons could only vanquished by being returned, magical retaliation, or another summoned creature. I just needed to stall for time until Val found the Return Key. The beast thrust again, which I parried effortlessly.

"Is that the best you got?" I taunted, enraging the creature. It lashed at my head with the clawed hand, but I slipped away, striking its head with the pommel of my sword. It growled, temporarily dazed. I feinted, and the demon moved to block a strike that never came. I kicked it, sending it against the wall. It loosed a bellow of rage, charging ferociously. Its pale fangs dripped with murky saliva, and its scales shined in the sunlight. It swiped downward, forcing me to parry, then it struck out with the spear. I tried to evade the blow, but it was unnaturally quick. The spear pierced my right shoulder, sending streaks of pain everywhere in my body. I gasped at the agony, falling to my knees. Desperately, I head-butted the creature's head, sending it reeling. I transfixed it with my glowing blade, pinning it to the floor. It thrashed, seeking to escape the bind. It would survive, but this gave us more time. 

"Arcus!! Are ya okay?" Val asked. I half nodded, prying the spear out of my arm. The pain was almost unbearable, and if I activated the amulet, I'd be incapacitated. Gritting my teeth, I managed to extract the lance. The Afrit had also managed to remove Rift from it's chest, and it threw it at me. Thankfully, I fell at the same time as it threw it, my injuries, in a way, saving my life. Unfortunately, it turned its attention to Val. I cried a warning, but the imp got there first. It seemed to realize what she was doing, and what she was seeking. It plunged its claws into the desk drawer, shattering it. After a few seconds, a pale bone fang appeared it the demon's paw.

"No!" I shouted, picking up Rift and stumbling towards the creature in a vain attempt to stop it.  I was too late, and it managed to throw the Return Key out the slit, out into the Boneyard. It was lost forever. Val picked up the fallen spear, thrusting at the imp's head. It took the beast in the eye, spearhead protruding through the the back of the skull. The Afrit's innards splat against a shelf, and a few bone fragments knocked over a jar or two. She yanked it out, and the creature crumpled to the ground. Val turned around, looking at me.