III

This place, this tower feels warped. A long lost relic from a strange dimension. I can feel the mighty power coursing through it, divine strength from another realm. It feels so very tantalizing, and I fear lesser men shall succumb to its seductive allure. However, despite that quality, most can resist the pull. But this can make a deity from a weak-willed puppet, therefore I dread the day a cunning mind embraces the terrifying, yet awesome power. For the good of all, it must be destroyed.

As we reached the first landing in the stairway, we took our first pause. We'd been taking three steps at a time, attempting to create as much distance between us and the foul shadow monster. However, it was impossible to maintain our breakneck pace without being exhausted afterward. 

"Let's go, the door won't hold it off forever!" I said, then started ascending once more. Val followed, grumbling about somthing called 'physical health'. Before long we had reached a new set of doorways. They both appeared to be locked, so I selected a random one, the kicked it violently. It shook, hinges squeaking in complaint, but held. 

There must be a bar behind it, I thought. I slashed the door with Rift, neatly slicing something metal behind the wooden door. I kicked the door agin, and this time it gave way, falling flat on the floor. Just then Val emerged from the stairwell.

"Hey! Y'should have waited for me!" She said. 

"You were too slow!" I replied teasingly. "I guess all that time in that cell made you weak." She grumbled unhappily again, this time replying.

"I was trapped in a steel box for 'bout a week! How'd ya feel after dat?" I simply shrugged, then entered the now open doorway. 

"All right. Now, tell me about the 'Trinity'." 

"Fine. The Trinity is a sorta set of three gods. Before the Eclipse, the world was ruled by mighty creatures of air and fire. Ya probably haven't heard of dem, but they're called Dragons. For some reason, they all disappeared after the Eclipse." She paused, then asked a question of her own. "You do know what the Eclipse is, right?" I nodded, gesturing for her to continue. "But apparently, three of dem decided not to go away. In order to stay and protect this world, they had to sacrifice a great deal of their power. And while weakened, the Wyvern managed to defeat them. Then, he drained the rest of their essence, but with one last effort, the weakened dragons banished the Wyvern. So he commanded the Archfiend - or Bloodmage, as ya say, to imprispn them in his Dark Tower. Only with their help may someone vanquish da Archfiend. Get it?" I nodded. 

"I don't suppose you take questions, do you?" I said. 

"Nope, ya were right. We gotta go fast, we've wasted enough time already. So no questions." 

"But you were the one who - I don't know why I bother." I muttered as she walked away. "Um, can we find the Trinity now?"

"Yeah, all in due time. Hold ya horses." She said, peeking around the room. It was mostly empty, except a few shelves holding preserved monster bits, a slitted window, a large mirror, and a desk with a few dusty papers on it. Judging by the thickness, they had been untouched for decades. 

"The Archfiend used to employ scribes and soldiers," Val said, examining the desk. "But once the Wyvern gave him the nine Slivers of its soul, they were all dismissed." She poked her head out of the window, blocking a little light orange sunlight.

"And probably slaughtered." I added. "Probably some scribe's office." Val nodded, and started poking around the shelves and drawers. However, I held back. Something felt wrong. And the paper that Val tossed away confirmed it.