Chapter Eleven | Swallow Your Spit

Start from the beginning

"Why don't you just go crawl back to whatever hole you spawned from?"

"Why don't I just shove my fist down your throat?"

"Oh, please," I scoffed. "I'm sure you're much more acquainted with having things shoved in your mouth." My eyes drifted up and down her body as the corner of my lip turned up in disgust, and I scrunched my nose just to add to the amount of petty I was seeking to achieve.

She asked for it.

I struck a nerve with that one. I could tell by the way her jaw was clenched that she was gritting her teeth in an attempt to not rip my throat out.

She can make all of the threats she wants as long as Matteo isn't around, but the moment she acts on them, she better send out a silent prayer for her and her bleached-blonde hair.

Her eyes darkened warning me in that moment that her wolf was stepping forward and that she could shift at really any moment. She was like a ticking time bomb at this point.

"Knock it off, you two," Jack snapped suddenly becoming much more serious and demanding than he normally would be. I can only correlate it to the fact that he knew his ass would be toast if anything happened to me. "Dani, what do you want?"

"Matteo has requested to see you," she answered, crossing her arms over her fairly-large bust and leaning against the door frame.

"What for?"

"He claims you've spent too much time with his mate today." Immediately, a look of annoyance plastered onto my face.

"What does that have to do with anything?" I chimed in. The irritability in my voice wasn't hard to spot. "He's the one who assigned Jack to watch me."

"He's just jealous, Kaia," Jack commented as he pushed himself up off of the floor from where he had been sitting into a standing position. "His wolf has probably been getting at him for letting me be around you so much."

"That makes no sense. This is your job."

"I'm the closest friend he's got. He trusts me—I think, but I haven't found my mate, so that trust only goes on so long at one time before it begins to waver. It's his instinct to protect what's his," Jack explained. My eyes narrowed into slits at the mention of being his. I'd always known just based on how my dad was with my mom that I would no doubt have to deal with the label of being someone else's. I just learned to accept it, but that didn't mean I liked it.

Okay, I kind of liked it.

"Well, it's my instinct to kill the first person in the room that I don't like, but he puts a stop to that. Maybe I should just put a stop to his nonsense," I stated as I pushed myself up from the floor and started heading toward the door.

"Where are you going?" Daniella questioned as I brushed past her.

"To put a stop to my mate's nonsense," I said, making my way to Matteo's office where I knew he'd be.

As usual, I passed by many of Caedes' pack members. As if it were rehearsed a thousand times, each and every one of them stood at attention with an assertive and correct posture, their shoulders back, chest out, and chin up as I approached them all the way until they were behind me. I could only assume what they had done once my back was to them. Not one of them uttered a word to me. They never did. I had an inkling it was due to me being mated to their Alpha.