Chapter Five

"Oh, this place looks so... horrible." Anne clutched her stomach. Her stomach was not settling well after the minimal lunch she ate. Though it wasn't much that they served there, since food was still scarce.
Anne felt like she was going to faint at any moment. She didn't even tell Peter that she was due at any minute!
"Anne?" Peter asked quickly. "Anne?"
Anne was feeling light-headed and dehydrated. Her typhus had not yet been fully cured. She collapsed to the hard wooden floor. Peter carefully picked her up in a panic.
"Mr. Frank!" Peter hollered from outside the Annex, cradling Anne in his arms. "Mr. Frank! Miep! Bep! Anyone!"
He ran down the stairs as fast as he could, trying not to hurt her.
Otto ran out of his office to see what was the matter. "Peter, what's wrong?"
Otto took a sharp look at his daughter and covered his mouth. "Is-is she... dead?"
Peter didn't know. All he saw was Anne Frank collapsing. He didn't have time to check her pulse.
They took her to the nearest hospital as fast as they could get there. A nurse rushed Anne to the nearest room and the men were told to wait in the waiting room.
All they did was wait. Waiting for the news on Anneliese Marie Frank.