Chapter Twenty

Aiden had been editing photos when his phone lit up. He saw Oliver's name and immediately reached across the hotel bed to grab it. He felt his blood pump faster as he pressed it to his ear. He remembered their conversation earlier that morning. "What happened?" he asked. 

"This is not an emergency call," Oliver assured him. 

Oliver's husky voice was calm and Aiden felt like he could relax. Aiden breathed out a breath he didn't know he was holding in. "Oh, what's going on?" 

"I just wanted to see if you wanted to come to Eden and Pierce's apartment for dinner tonight," Oliver said. "Pierce invited us." 

"Invited us or invited you?" Aiden asked. He doubted that Pierce would want to spend time with him. 

"Me, but I'm inviting you," Oliver replied. 

Aiden squashed his lip between his teeth as he thought about the offer. "How was today? Were they nice?" 

"I don't think they can ever be nice," Oliver said with fake laughter, "but they were fine. Nothing bad happened. I would have called you." 

Aiden could sense a weird tone to his voice. "Okay," Aiden said. He hoped that Oliver wasn't playing down their behaviour. "I'll come." 

"Good. How was breakfast this morning?" Oliver asked. 

"It was actually really nice. Your mother is a different person when she isn't around your father." 

"I know, it's weird, right?" 

"Definitely. Anyway, I'll tell you all about it tonight. Where did you guys go today?" 

Aiden could hear Pierce calling out Oliver's name in the background. "I have to go, we are about to head back into the city. I'll tell you tonight," Oliver said. "I'll send you the address, be there at eight." 

"Okay, see you tonight. I love you." 

"I love you." 

Aiden ended the call. It was then that he heard a knock at the door. He slipped his phone into his back pocket as he walked through the hotel room and towards the door. He was surprised to see Rosie when he pulled back the door. She stood in the hallway with her phone in her hand. She wore dark red lipstick and a black short dress. The color of her canvas shoes matched her lips. 

"Do you want to get coffee?" she asked as she looked away from her phone and up at him.  

Aiden tilted his head at her. "Is there an ulterior motive to this coffee or is it just coffee?" 

"It's getting to know my future brother-in-law coffee."

"Interesting," Aiden muttered. "You do know we aren't engaged, right?" 

Rosie shrugged. A smile tugged at her lips. "For now." Aiden wondered if she knew something he didn't. "Come on, are we going or what?" she asked insolently. 

He stepped back and grabbed his wallet from the bench. "Do you know any places with good coffee around here?" 

Rosie nodded. Aiden followed her lead. He had assumed that they would take a cab, but instead, Rosie led him down the main street. 

"Do you like New York?" Rosie asked. 

"I'm not really sure," Aiden replied. "I feel like I need to go to touristy things. I might ask Oliver if he wants to explore New York tomorrow." 

Rosie smiled over at him. "Can I come with you?" 

Aiden nodded. "You haven't done these things already?"