03

heey guys! im like so stoked?? already over 50 reads! fasidfs!!! dont forget to vote and leave a comment if you can :D

_________________

It looks like he is searching for something. His head is turning, his dark eye's managing to look even darker, almost black. Scanning the crowd he finally stopped. His eye's right on me.

A growl leaves his chest. It was powerful and the crowd shrank back. It seems he found what he was looking for.

I couldn't help it, my feet moved on their own as I turned to run.

Before Anthony can even pull me back, I'm running full speed away from him. Away from the king, away from everything.

I hear the king roar, "Touch her and you'll wish for death." It was a command and I couldn't help but notice how addicting his voice was, even when yelling.

The guards that had immediately jumped for me as soon as I gave an indication of fleeing jerked back as if they had been on a leash.

I  paid no attention to that though as I ran down the dirt path. The pounding of my feet in time with my pounding heart. I heard him behind me. I heard his footsteps. I would have hoped they'd been heavy, but these were wolves. They are fast and light-footed. Born hunters and I'm the prey.

But they didn't call me red fox for no reason, I was known for my swiftness and quick thinking. 

A sharp pain shoots up my leg as I step on what has to be broken glass, I block out the discomfort. I block out everything. I hear him howl behind me. Fear cut's across me like a knife, but I can't think about that right now, my mind is zeroed in on one thing. Making it out of this shitfest alive.

I don't dare look behind me, not when I can feel his presence so close. Confusion twists it's way up me. He's holding back, I know he is. I grew up with these beast's, and if he's the king of them, he should've caught up to me by now.

Again I pay that no mind. Maybe the god's are watching over me. Maybe they are giving me a chance.

I promise them I will not waste it.

Faster than even I thought I could do, I veer off the path into the dense woods. I'm smaller than him, and even though he is a monster born of these forests, I can only hope that my years of living like a starved animal will help me now.

It does. For a moment.

Instinct takes over and I run as fast as humanly possible through the thick trees. I bound over fallen trunks, leap over boulders and dodge branches. Alas, as fast as humanly possible was not enough. Not when what you're running from isn't human.

He's on me in seconds. 

His strong arms wrap around me, caging me in, tingles run up and down my arm. He end's up taking most of the blow as we barrel towards the ground, twisting me around like a ragdoll so I'm on top.

We hit the ground with a resounding thud.

Both of us are breathing hard, but I suspect for different reasons. 

For a second I don't look at his face. Although every nerve is screaming for me to look. To look at his handsome face up close.

I realize just how weak I am as I look up at him, not able to resist the strange pull, his eyes are completely black and I can't help the fact that I know I should be scared by that...But I just am not. My survival instincts seem to be thrown out the window.

Together we stay there. Quite possibly in the most uncomfortable position, for him at least. A full grown girl lying on top of him, while he's in the mud. I can't help but feel a little triumphant at that, to see the pristine king doused in the dirt, just like us filthy humans. It feel's like poetic justice.

The feeling doesn't last long.

He doesn't say a word as he starts sitting upwards before he can get to me again, I scramble away. Trying my best to get as far from him as possible.

I watch is lips quirk up just a fraction as if my fear and obvious anger is humorous.

I lean against the nearest tree and put weight on my right foot getting ready to sprint but I can't help the low hiss of pain that passes through my lips.

The little stupid smirk on his face disappears quickly. He's up in a millisecond. I notice he still hasn't said a word. I almost absentmindedly wonder if he'll kill me. 

I wonder if the reason he chased me down is because he know's I killed 5 of those guards. If he were to kill me right here, I still would not regret my decision. Blood for blood I suppose. 

His arms trap me against the tree. Oh he is definitely over 6 foot. I stand at a 5"2 and he is at least a foot above me. I do not like this at all. It makes me uncomfortable how he dwarfs me. My size gives me no advantages in this situation. 

He just...Stares at me. Looking me up and down and then up and down again, stopping at my face. He lift's his right hand up, and I can't do anything as he, what can only be described as gently, brushes my cheek. I notice two things, one, his hand is about as big as my face and two, my blood is on his hand afterward.

My hand shoots up to my face. I didn't even know I had gotten a scratch and from what I can tell, it's a pretty big one too. 

He takes one last overlook of me before saying softly, as if he were worried I would shoot away, "You run like a fox."

That is the first and only thing he says to me before he lift's me up bridal style. The adrenaline is wearing off fast, and I can feel every cut, every gash, every bruise on my body, and even though my hatred for this man is strong, the tiniest sliver of me is grateful that I didn't' have to face the humiliation of limping back to the village. 

I'm in shock. I'm being carried by a ruthless cruel king, who just said I reminded him of a fox before promptly carrying me back to my village like my very own 'knight in shining armor'. 

The lack of sleep from the last couple night's is catching up to me. Exhaustion weighs down my bones. And in his arms, I feel even weaker. My mind is fuzzy and I can guarantee it is because of him. He fogs up my mind.

Just like I had been thinking not just an hour before, his power wraps around me like a new wool sweater. Warm and soothing. It's intoxicating. 

My arm is behind is neck and I shiver at how close I am to him. Frustration rears it's ugly head as I try to make sense of what is happening and why I'm feeling so strongly towards this beastly man. What does he want?

He doesn't look down at me once as he continues walking. He acts as if I weigh nothing. I was about to just give up and relax my neck and maybe even close my eye's, accept whatever he plans on doing next, when I notice we are not walking back to the village.

My reaction is immediate. Terror grips me hard in her claws.

As soon as I notice this key detail, I twist and try to shove my way out of his grip, not even caring if he were to just drop me on the ground. I just needed to get out of his grip and bolt. This time be smart of enough to find some water and hide my scent.

The bastard doesn't even stop. He does let out a low warning growl, though. It wasn't exactly harsh, but it was obviously a red flag. A sign for me to stop now.

I did not and would not stop. I hope he knows I will fight him until I take my last breath, until my heart ceases to beat. 

____________________________________

comment if you want longer chapters btw guys! or do you prefer shorter chapters with more frequent updates? and as always, if you can, please don't forget to vote!