A very strange nightmare

Start from the beginning

~~

Later that night Victoria snuck upstairs to Todd's shop to have a quick private chat with him. She knocked before she entered and closed the door behind her. Sweeney was sweeping the floor but set the broom aside when he saw her.

He smiled "is it time for our tradition where you come up here and ask me a lot of questions about me and Nellie that I don't really feel comfortable answering?" He asked sarcastically.

Victoria smiled a cheeky smile "why Mr.Todd, you are so very smart." Sweeney noticed how she began to follow a routine. She'd arrive, greet everyone, spend some time with the kids and chat with Nellie, and then she'd come upstairs to ask him about his relationship with Nellie. It made him wonder if she asked Nellie the same questions she asked him. Furthermore, it made him wonder what Nellie's answers to the questions were if she did. "Have you spoken to each other about the night you broke up?" Victoria asked blankly, figuring she'd just get that question out of the way since they probably hadn't spoken about it.

His response pleasantly surprised her "yeah." He stated casually, but her eyes widened as a huge smile grew on her face. This news excited her beyond belief! Maybe Nellie finally told him the truth! Maybe she confessed how long she'd actually been in love with him for after that horrible night.

"And?! Wot did she say?! Wot did you say?! Tell me everything!" She was speaking so quickly that he could barely keep up. Yep, she and Nellie were definitely related.

He laughed "well there was a decent amount of yelling," he began, causing her to roll her eyes.

"There always is with the two of you." She mumbled before he continued. Victoria listened intenly to every word.

"She told me how she still loved me for as long as she did, and I told her the truth of how I began courting Lucy to make her jealous. Hell, I married Lucy in hopes of getting Nellie back. But then I truly did fall in love with Lucy, just not at first." This was certainly news to Victoria, she had absolutely no idea. Of course, she knew Nellie's side of the story, but she never discussed it with Todd. Why didn't he tell her the last two times she'd been here?

"You never told me that."

"I never told anyone, except for my father but he was smart enough to figure it out on his own. The only person I ever confessed it to was Nellie, and that was only a few weeks ago. And now I've told you." Sweeney wondered if Nellie told Victoria that he was in love with her. He wondered if she told Victoria about how just that morning he'd suggested they get married. But he figured she didn't tell her either of those things, because Victoria definitely would've brought it up by now. Maybe he should tell her. Victoria would be pissed if he didn't, then again, maybe he should let Nellie do it since it's her cousin.

"How 'ave things been with you two?"

Sweeney laughed, he had no idea how to answer that question. It couldn't be explained in few words. A simple good or bad could never capture the complexity of everything between them. "Depends on when you ask. One moment everything is great and we're sitting together in the living room having a nice conversation, the next moment, all of Fleet Street hears us screaming, a knife gets thrown at my head, and someone ends up crying."

Victoria smiled optimistically at this "well it sounds like you've been keeping things exciting!" She said cheerily, making him smile.

"Exciting is one word for it."

Victoria smirked "anything going on romantically?" She asked hopefully, every ounce of her being wishing he'd say yes.

"No." He answered bluntly, making her frown and cross her arms. She groaned in frustration. How bloody long was this going to take?!