Chapter 8: Take on the world

Start from the beginning

''I love you too, dad'' she smiled, before walking out and being greeted by her best friends. Laughing slightly and blinking away any remaining tears, she nodded. ''It's okay now''

''that's good, Riles'' Maya hooked her arm around hers while Farkle simply observed with a grin. ''Think of it as one step closer to happy Riley''

 ''Think of it as one step closer to happy Riley''

xxxxxx

The drive to their apartment was terrifying, almost unbearable to Riley as she sat in the passenger's seat of her dad's car. Although her dad had tried to distract her with small talk, even trying to assure her that it would all be fine, she couldn't help but feel anxious.

After all, she'd pushed away the woman who'd brought her into the world, and there was no excuse for that.

What if she didn't forgive her?

What if her mother gave up on her already and refused to acknowledge her anymore?

Deep inside of her she knew they were foolish hypothetical scenarios she was making up, but she couldn't even trust herself anymore. How could she possibly redeem herself after that?

As her dad pulled out the key to the apartment, Riley took a deep breath and surprise to find her mother sitting on the couch with a dull expression across her features. However, once she laid eyes on her, she instantly jumped up with wide eyes.

''sweetheart, are you okay?''

''W- what?'' was all Riley could manage to say.

''Listen, I know I said horrible things yesterday, but believe me, I was just trying to make things better-'' her mother took a deep breath, closing her eyes for a second. ''A mother is supposed to fix things, and I've realized I haven't done that''

''Stop, please'' Riley whimpered, running to her and embracing her tightly. ''I'm sorry I've been horrible to you, mom, it's not your fault''

''I should've been there for you more; I should've asked you about how you were feeling'' her mother's sweet voice said in sorrow. ''I should've made more time for you and Auggie''

''Mom,'' she cried out, feeling her eyes water. ''I promise to try harder''

''Oh, my precious baby'' Topanga stroke her hair, as the feeling of her dad's arms around them both brought a sense of warmth. ''We'll get through this together''

''really?''

''It's the three of us taking on the world together''

xxxxxx

''What's her name?''

Shawn smiled widely, holding the newborn baby girl in his arms. Cory, who's arm was wrapped around a tiresome Topanga on the hospital bed, grinned. ''Riley Shawna Matthews (Author's note: HOW IT RIGHTFULLY SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIGHT ME ON THIS)''

''Seriously, Core?'' Shawn rubbed his fingers against her tiny, soft hand. ''She's beautiful''

''thirteen hours of labor was worth it'' Topanga beamed, staring at her baby girl while grasping Cory's hand.

Her husband nodded, leaning his head against hers.

Shawn walked towards them, gently placing the stirring baby in Topanga's arms. ''Well, Riley, you're very lucky to have the two best people in the world as your parents''

''aw, Shawny'' Cory pretended to blush, while Topanga simply rolled her eyes with a chuckle.

Placing a kiss on her baby's forehead, the twenty-two-year-old woman could feel a pure love she'd never experienced before just staring down at her child.

''Oh, Riley'' she began, as the two men directed their attention towards her. ''You're going to be such an amazing girl when you grow up''

''And don't forget about how much mom and dad love you, alright?'' Cory spoke, kissing her tiny hand with a smile. ''You'll always be our world no matter what''

That cold, November night in New York had never been more beautiful.