Coming Together

When they landed on Earth, he was glad to find everything was exactly the same. They went back in the TARDIS to see if there was any way to prevent this 'end of the universe' from happening when the ship shook. When he opened the door again, the Earth was gone but they hadn't moved.

"There's no trace; not even a whisper." He shook his head, "That is fearsome technology."

"So what do we do?"

He looked at Donna, "We've got to get help."

She looked at him like he had grown a second head and cried out in exasperation, "From where?"

"We're going to the Shadow Proclamation; hold tight," and he sent the ship through the Vortex.

"So go on, then; what is the Shadow Proclamation, anyway?"

"Posh name for police; outer space police," he smiled at Donna who just rolled her eyes.

They landed and exited the ship to come face-to-face with the Judoon who had their guns trained on them. After a little talk between the Doctor and the Judoon, the guns were dropped and a pale woman with red eyes stepped forward. He and the Shadow Architect discussed what the possibilities were but it was Donna who made him see what was going on as she pointed out the missing planet of Adipose 3. Ally, in the mean time, was discussing something he couldn't hear with the Judoon and a young woman who seemed to be a servant.

Once they were satisfied with the issue at hand, he ordered Donna and Ally back on the TARDIS and they followed a trail that led them to the Medusa Cascade. When they reached it, the trail had ended and there were no planets to be seen when a phone rang.

"Martha, is that you?" there was only a dead line but it was a signal and he wasn't about to lose it. Only a second after tracing the signal, they discovered the whereabouts of all the planets; they were a second out of sync with the rest of the universe, the perfect hiding place.

His monitors went haywire and then he and Donna were staring into familiar faces - at least to him. "Where the hell have you been?" Jack got serious as he said, "Doctor, it's the Daleks."

They all started talking at the same time and he felt himself deflate in relief, "Sarah Jane; who's that boy?" He looked at Jack and the two people surrounding him, "That must be TORCHWOOD," he smiled at Donna and then over at Ally who was standing a little ways away, "Oh they're brilliant!" He turned back to the people on the screen, "Look at you; all you clever people!"

He pulled Ally over so that she was standing next to him - he wanted his friends to meet her.

Jack raised his eyebrows, "Why, hello there; Captain Jack Harkness, and you are?"

Ally blushed at the subtle - not so subtle, really - compliment, and looked up at John. He was glaring at Jack and she shook her head and turned back to Jack, "Ally."

"Well, Ally; it's nice to meet you."

She smiled at him and nodded her head, "So, you said Daleks."

"Right," John pushed away his irritation and pulled Ally closer to him, "Tell me - us - about the Daleks."

Before Jack could respond, a new voice came through, "Your voice is different; and, yet, its arrogance is unchanged." The voice sent a shiver down his spine, "Welcome to my new empire, Doctor. It is only fitting that you should bear witness to the resurrection and the triumph of Davros. Lord and Creator of the Dalek race." Donna tried to get his attention, "Have you nothing to say?"

He started finding out how Davros survived the Time War - something he had long since described to both Donna and Ally (Ally wouldn't hear about it unless he told Donna as she felt it was unfair) - he finally said, "After all this time - everything we saw, everything we lost - I have only one thing to say to you: bye!" and he clicked off the link.

They landed on Earth and he turned on Donna to discover what else was said when Donna looked over his shoulder, "Why don't you ask her yourself?"

When he turned around, he found Rose standing not too far away with a gun clinging to her form. At first, he was just too stunned to move but then he felt his hand being squeezed and he turned to see Ally smiling up at him. She nodded her head, "It's fine; go to her," so he did.

Rose had already been running towards him so they were pretty close when a gun was shot and he went down. "I've got you," he could hear the sorrow in her voice, "I missed you; look, it's me," he smiled at her, "look!"

"Rose," it was a name he had just recently explained to Ally (Donna had already known) and he had been amazed at her utterance of 'Well, I didn't expect you to wait for me forever,' and he knew he more than loved her for that.

She smiled at him, "Right."

"Long time no see," and, after these words left his lips, another shot went off and both Donna and Ally had reached him.

She chuckled through her tears, "Yeah; been busy, you know." She wrapped her arms around him, "Don't die; oh my God, don't die," she repeated that a couple of more times and he wanted to tell her that it was no use; he could feel that all-consuming power of the regeneration energy surging through him.

Ally understood what was going on - he had explained the process to her in more detail a couple of days after their first trip in the TARDIS - so she asked Rose to help her get him up as Jack came running over shouting, "Get him in the TARDIS; quick; move."

Once on board, he slumped to the floor and pushed the others away as Jack told them to stand back. He could hear Rose screaming at him that he couldn't regenerate so he apologized but it was too late to do anything about it. Donna, only knowing the gist of what was going on, demanded to be told what was happening and he saw Ally speaking to her quietly. He smiled at that but then the pain consumed him and the energy burst forth and he started healing.

Knowing that there was one thing he needed to do before he actually regenerated, he pushed the regenerative energy into his spare hand so that he wouldn't change. He knew that he had no fear of having changed feelings towards Ally but he wanted to do something that he didn't think would happen for quite some time - he wanted to marry her.

When all of the energy was gone, he turned and smiled at his companions, "Now then; where were we?"

He could tell that they were all confused as to why he still looked like himself but he didn't really have time for explanations. Rose walked over to him and silently said, "You're still you."

"I'm still me," he walked over to the controls as Jack started explaining what was going on.