Chapter 28- Bottled Sunshine

Start from the beginning

A few moments of aching silence passed as we both stared at Ash, watching the rhythmic rise and fall of his chest and reminding ourselves that he was still breathing. If only I was watching him, I could have caught him before he fell. But I was too engrossed with my own thoughts. What was once the perfect moment to confess became the worst in a split second.

"Is he okay?" I whispered, careful not to disturb the quiet atmosphere too much.

"He will be fine. My mum said he should wake up sometime tomorrow morning, then we will see how he is from there. His injuries are mostly minor and they'll heal in a couple weeks. Needed three stitches on his forearm, but that's it." she informed me in an equally as soft tone.

"How long have you been awake? You came to bed earlier but when I woke up, you were gone." I asked curiously, peering at the perplexed blonde girl.

"A few hours. I helped my mother put some disinfecting ointments on Ash's wounds but then she instructed me to leave. She said I couldn't be present as she put the stitches in. Of course, I fought with her over it then she sent me to bed. I wanted to make sure Ash was okay, so I came here once everyone had fallen asleep. Guess I've lost track of time now." Elaina answered. I studied the large bags under her eyes with concern and was about to suggest she get some sleep before she spoke again. "Surprisingly, I entered to see that my mother had let Pikachu inside. It's something I thought she was incapable off."

"Speaking of your mother, when I arrived back here yesterday, you were all in the back garden and the conversation seemed tense. Was everything alright?" I wondered out loud. A small smile perked up the edges of Elaina's lips as she recalled the memory.

"Everything was fine. We went outside after Aron and I convinced our parents to let us introduce them to our Pokemon. My mother so nearly touched Pikachu, not willingly as such but intensional all the same. It was a magical moment, although cut short by more important matters. A huge step forward, regardless." My friend explained with a brightened face that washed away some symptoms of exhaustion.

"I'm so happy for you! You're parents will get there eventually. Never give up on them, they may be stubborn but so are you." I pulled the grinning blonde girl into a side hug. She laid her head on my shoulder and let out a small yawn.

"Yeah, but it will take a little more than that to turn my parents views around." She whispered.

"Worry about that tomorrow, why don't you get some sleep? You look really tired." I suggested but Elaina shook her head in protest and a pout formed on her lips.

"No I want to stay here with A-"

"Elaina, you'll be so tired tomorrow if you don't get some sleep now." I warned, not wanting to deal with a bitter Elaina the next day.

"But I-"

"Nope, you may argue with your mother but not with me. Bed. Now." I deadpanned. Her purplish skin concerned me and I knew she needed sleep in order to rid herself of it.

"Yes mom." My friend rolled her eyes sarcastically, finally giving in "But what about you?"

"I've slept a good amount. Don't worry, I'll stay here with Ash and make sure he's alright." I reassured her. Elaina lifted her head off my shoulder with a sigh, reluctant to leave the room.

"Fine, if you say so. Goodnight." She responded in a tone that was induced with exhaustion. Silently, she walked up to Ash's prone body. The golden haired girl searched his limp features for any sign of waking one last time. She lifted a gentle hand and brushed it against the side of his face, fingers lingering on his jawline. "Goodnight" she muttered again, but this time it was directed wholly at Ash.