Ice Cream

The tension was unbearable. Mark had this look in his eyes that I've never seen before. He was being protective, and Riley was pushing it.

Riley slowly lowered her hand. Guilt was all over her face.

"Scarlett, I'm so sorry." Tears filled her eyes, and I could tell she was genuinely sorry but I couldn't forgive her. Not after all she's put me through. This whole situation was unreal to me. Just a few months ago we were discussing the Christmas dance. Now we were standing in my boyfriend's kitchen after he had to defend me because she was going to slap me.

"How?" I barely whispered. A tear rolled down my cheek. I didn't know whether I was crying for sadness or anger. I had dealt with so much with this relationship, and it seemed like the betrayal of my best friend had seemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

"I...I don't know, I just...I don't know what happened..." She stuttered.

"I just...Go, Riley."

"Scar."

"Don't. Don't call me that. That's only for people who are special to me, and you no longer are." She was shocked, it was evident all over her face. Who would have thought that a friendship that lasted 11 years would come to this? I know that a guy shouldn't have broken up this friendship. But, it wasn't Mark's fault, her actions were what separated us.

"Goodbye Scarlett." I gave her a short nod before she gave a final sigh and walked out. As I heard the front door close, I felt a huge weight lift off my shoulders, and at that, I collapsed to the floor in tears. Burying my head in my hands I let every emotion out. I felt Mark sit down next to me wrapping an arm around me and burying me into his chest.

"Shh, you're okay. I've got you." Mark whispered in my ear as he stroked my hair. I don't know how long we stayed like that. All I knew was I felt safe.

Mark's P.O.V

I could see Riley was slowly killing Scarlett. I never thought inviting her here would end up like this. Holding onto Riley's wrist, just before she was going to slap Scarlett. It was instinct, protecting Scarlett, was something that came natural, to me. I saw her freeze as realisation, hit her at what Riley was going to do. She was breaking, I knew she was acting strong but this was all taking a toll on her. If only I had met her when we weren't student and teacher. No, I couldn't think like that. I'm glad we met, I wouldn't have it any other way.

"Goodbye Scarlett." Riley gave her final goodbyes and I could tell she regrets what had happened. But I couldn't feel sorry for her, I wouldn't give her that privilege.

Scarlett collapsed to the floor in tears. My heart ached for her. I wish she didn't have to go through what she did. As I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her as close as I could, I could hear her sobs. I knew my shirt was getting wet, but I couldn't care.

After 10 minutes, she slowly pulled away, tears still running down her face.

"Oh, I'm sorry." She whispered as she saw my tear stained shirt.

"Hey, don't worry about it. I don't care about that. You're more important than a stupid shirt."

"No, I'm sorry for everything I've put you through. I'm surprised you're still here." I was shocked. I stared into her brown eyes, that were still slightly bloodshot from crying. She looked so innocent and vulnerable in that moment, like one wrong move and she would shatter.

"Are you kidding me? Scar, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else but here. I don't care if you're happy, or crying on the kitchen floor. I want to be there for you."

"But I look horrendous. I just broke down." She looked down at the floor

"Hey, look," I said, tilting her head up so she was looking up at me again. "You will always look beautiful to me. I don't care that you just broke down. You have been so strong these past months that you were bound to at some point. Don't do what I think you're going to do."

"And what's that?" She sniffled.

"Bury yourself under your blankets with a tub of ice cream, and ignore the world. Especially me." She sighed as she gave me a weak smile.

"Can I just stay with you for a couple days?"

"Of course you can, just make sure your mom knows." She nodded, picking herself up to call her mom. I watched as she walked into the living room. I knew I told her not to do this by herself. But I grabbed a tub of Ben And Jerry's from the freezer, two spoons and a blanket from the cupboard.

"I thought you might need these," I said as I sat down next to her covering both of us with the blanket.

"Thank you." She kissed me on the cheek, as she took the tub. "I don't know why you brought two spoons, though. It's not like you're getting any." I gave a small chuckle. Even in her sad moments, she still had the same sense of humour. I placed my arm on the back of the sofa, as she moved closer to me.

We stayed like that, quietly getting lost in our own thoughts. The only movement was me sneaking a few spoons of ice cream.

A/N- The next chapter will be the last. So...54k?! Thank you! Don't know how or why. I think this has been one of my best books so far, and the only one I've stayed writing. Again, thank you for 54k reads!