Chapter 26

Wow, it's been a long time since I updated! Sorry and I promise I'm still alive ;)

When we get back to the cabin, I immediately know something is off. I can smell smoke and it's strong enough that it must be near. I stop on the porch and Braeden gives me a curious look. "Why'd you stop?"

"Don't you smell that?" I ask. "There's a fire."

He turns and takes a whiff of the air. "So there is."

"Let's go see what it is." I pull my wolf forward and shift. As I'm about to step from the porch, Braeden's hand stops me.

"Not right now, Autumn. Your next episode will be soon and it wouldn't do any good for you to have it out there. You should just wait it out here while you're safe."

"I'm going to make sure my people are okay," I say firmly. "If it happens out there, so be it. I have you and Lucas and Aaron to protect me. My father wouldn't dare come back so soon."

He sighs in defeat. "You aren't going to come inside, are you?"

I shake my head. "No." With that, I run off in the direction of the smoke. Soon, it becomes visible and it puffs out from the forest in thick black columns.

I gasp when I see what's been burned. It was the Alpha's house of El Diablo pack. All that's left are a couple of charred wooden pillars. The rest of the house either burned or collapsed on itself or both. Many of the houses on either side have suffered damage too, though not nearly as severe.

I glance over and see Aaron staring at the house with grief in his eyes. All his muscles look ready to leap into action, yet he's frozen in place.

A young wolf runs by and I stop him. "What happened here?"

"The King's men," he answers without hesitation. "They were ordered to kill the Alpha and Luna and burn anything that belonged to them."

"My parents are dead?" Aaron asks, his voice sounding timid.

The young boy nods. "I'm so sorry. We've been looking everywhere for you."

Aaron looks confused and dazed. "Why?"

"Because you're the new Alpha," the boy answers. "You are their only heir. We need you."

The boy's voice is intense and pressuring, though I'm sure he doesn't mean it like that. "Let me talk to him, okay? This is going to be hard for him. Tell the others that you found him and that he's with me."

The boy runs off and starts yelling at the top of his lungs. I turn back to Aaron and nudge him with my snout. "Aaron?"

His eyes are blank. "Hmm?"

"Are you okay?" Instantly I regret the words. "Scratch that, of course you aren't. What can I do to help?"

Tears pool in his eyes and run down his fur. "I-I don't know. I might not have always gotten along with them, but they were my parents." His voice is so sad that I can feel my heart breaking to pieces.

"I'm so sorry, A. I wish I could help." I nuzzle him and he turns into me, giving me a wolfy hug.

Braeden's voice enters my ears. "Where did Lucas go?"

I pick my head up and look around, only now noticing that he isn't here. "I don't know."

Suddenly, my chest constricts and my vision blurs from the lack of oxygen. Sparks erupt on my shoulder and I know that it's Braeden.