Chapter 3

The next morning, I wake up to pounding on my door. I sit up groggily and look at the clock. 3:47 AM? Who could be knocking on my door so early?

"Come in," I can softly. The door crashes open and reveals Alpha Nikolas. He stumbles into my room, clearly drunk.

I cower into my bed, trying futilely to hide from him. He stumbles again and when he looks up, his eyes are red. His wolf is showing himself right now, and he doesn't like for that to happen. His wolf is a rogue, so the Alpha is embarrassed about him. The only time he actually uses his wolf is when he's fighting because the combination of a rogue and Royal blood equals a wolf stronger than any other.

He jumps onto the bed, pinning me under him. "Well, well, no little trespasser to protect you now, is there, you little imp?"

I don't move, don't breathe, in fear that the slightest thing will set him off. However, his questions doesn't seem to be rhetorical and he wants an answer. He slaps me. "When I ask you a question, you answer me!"

"N-no, he's not here now."

"Right. That's why I'm going to-"

The lights flip on, cutting of the Alpha King. Beta Ashton enters, looking frightened. "Nikolas! Get off her right now!"

My father turns to look at him. His voice is low and angry. "What did you call me?"

Ashton looks nervous but he doesn't back down. "Nikolas. Get off of her."

He climbs off me and goes to face his Beta. I sit there and watch as Beta Ashton stands up to his Alpha. He drops his eyes at the power coming off my father, but all the same, he's still here for me.

"Why are you standing up for that little worthless pup?"

Beta Ashton's eyes flash with anger and he lifts his face again. "She isn't worthless. She's the Alpha Princess, not to mention your daughter! Why do you treat her so horribly?"

My father doesn't answer for a minute and I'm afraid of his answer. Eventually, he just rolls his eyes and storms out of the room.

Beta Ashton calms down and his eyes change back from his wolf's dark eyes. "Are you alright, Autumn?"

"Yeah, I'm okay. How did you know he was in here?"

"Just a feeling," he brushes the question off. "Go back to sleep. I'll take care of the Alpha King this morning. Sleep as long as you'd like."

I nod, a feeling in my gut telling me something isn't right. He leaves and I try to sleep again but my mind is too riled up. I toss and turn until the sun rises, and then I get up. There's no point just laying around worrying about everything. I need to distract myself.

After a quick shower, I get dressed and just kinda wonder around the house. I don't have anything to do and Alpha Nikolas won't let me outside the house, except to take lunch to the dungeon.

I don't go into the kitchen at all, not wanting to make myself hungry. I'll eat when I take the food down to the dungeon and see if maybe I can sneak Aaron some food. I've noticed over the past few days that he's getting much skinnier.

Werewolves have to consume many, many more calories than humans, which means that they can lose the weight much faster too. It's the same effect on humans, just slower for them. So, in the five days that Aaron has been here, it's like two months for a human. When I gave him a hug yesterday, I could feel his ribs more than the days prior.

[][][][][]

At lunchtime, I get the food and take it down. I've managed to grab some extra food for all of the prisoners today in the form of crackers and some apples. I know it isn't much, but I can only take so much without being caught.