Chapter 2

Nick Robinson as Aaron Fowler! Enjoy! :)

When I wake up the next morning, my throat is burning and my back stinging. I glance at the clock on my wall and jump out of bed as soon as I see it. 4:47 AM? Alpha Nikolas will punish me for this! I feel a tremor rack my body at the thought, my back aching.

I change into my outfit for today, a pair of jeans with the knees ripped open and a plain white shirt covered in stains. Most of my closet is like this, as Alpha Nikolas doesn't think I deserve nice clothes. I mostly get hand-me-downs from the rest of the pack. I grab a hair tie and quickly pull my hair into a ponytail, not even bothering to brush it since I know I'm going to be in enough trouble already and can't afford to waste any more time.

I hurry into the kitchen and start making the Alpha's breakfast. I glance at the clock again and will the food to cook faster. 4:55 AM- five minutes until he expects his food in his office. I already know I won't make it right at five o'clock, but maybe if it's only a minute or two late, then I'll be okay.

Wishful thinking, I know. But for some reason, I'm feeling optimistic today.

I plate his food and grab his cup of coffee, then hurry to his office. It's only two minutes after five, so I'm crossing my fingers that he won't pay too much attention.

I knock twice and open the door to his office and set the tray and coffee on his desk. I turn to leave and he says nothing at first, but as I open the door he opens his mouth. "You're late."

I freeze, my fingers wrapped around the doorknob. "I'm sorry, Alpha," I murmur, knowing he can hear me.

"Care to explain why you were late?"

"I, uh, overslept, Alpha." I drop my eyes down to the floor.

"Is that so?" I nod. "I'll let you off the hook this time, but only because you were punished yesterday. If you make the same mistake again, I won't hesitate to give you your own cell in the dungeon."

I nod. "Thank you, Alpha King."

"Don't thank me. Like I said, you will be able to find your mate in three days, and I want you healed by then. He will never accept you if you're covered in scars."

His words cut deep, bringing my own fears to the surface. I am afraid that my mate won't accept me and will see me as the pathetic, weak person that my father sees me as.

He dismisses me and I make my way out of the office, wandering back to the kitchen to get something for breakfast. I grab a protein bar, not really in the mood for anything more, and a glass of water. I go back to my room and get the medication that the doctor gave me and take that after I eat my breakfast bar.

It makes me drowsy, and I decide to take a short nap. I know my body needs it, so I close my eyes and curl up, falling asleep within seconds.

[][][][][]

When I wake up, the sun is high in the sky and it's about lunchtime. I go into the kitchen again and make the Alpha his lunch and grab his drink from the fridge, then go to his office again. He has a meeting today, so I knock quietly and keep my head down when I go in.

The other Alphas, Betas and Deltas in the room pay no attention to me. Not even a single person lifts their eyes to look at me. I'm relieved and perfectly content with remaining in the shadows.

After that, I take lunch down to the dungeons and feed everyone. Most of them are kind to me, seeming to realize how horrible my father is to me. However, there is always the occasional person who thinks that I live on top of the world.

Today, it's a rogue who came in a few weeks ago. He's been bitter the whole time, but today is the first time he's talked to me.

I open his door and bring him his tray, setting it down in front of him like usual. His hand shoots out and grasps mine tightly, the chains rattling noisily. He turns his gaze to my eyes and I freeze from the intense anger swimming in them. "Well, if it isn't the Princess," he growls. "And to what do I owe the pleasure of having you deliver my food? Going to kill me today?"