Change is in the air

Chapter 10

(Change is in the air)

Soren felt pleased as he left his rooms and entered the halls. He wouldn’t have to deal with Ebony at all for the next two weeks. The king was sure last night was the best night of sleep he’d had in years. Hearing commotion he walked toward the stairs and stopped. There he found servants pulling down the banners that had hung there for years.

“Great job guys. Thanks,” Ary told the servants.

“What would you like us to do with them highness?” A maid Soren recognized as the girl Lola who had brought his daughter a different comforter asked.

“Trash them. They can’t be used for anything I can think of,” The teenager replied.

“My I make a request highness?” Lola said carefully.

“Sure Lola. You have an idea for them?” Ary asked. Lola gave a hesitant nod and the princess could tell the girl was somewhat afraid to make the request. “Lola you don’t have to be afraid to ask me. What use do you have for them?”

“With your permission I’d like to hang them over an opening in the servant quarters to stop a draft that sometimes comes through on cold nights,” The maid said softly.

“Oh you mean because of the broken window and door,” Callista said knowingly. The girl nodded. “The banners are atrocious and I don’t want them anywhere in the castle.” The princess watched as the girl nodded sadly looking completely defeated. “But not to worry I have I asked Ramsey to send in the woodworker to fix the door and Master Fale will be here in a couple hours to fix the window.”

“Truly?” She said hopeful.

“Of course. Anything that’s broken is going to get fixed,” The princess announced. “If you find anything broken I missed let me know.” The maid quickly nodded.

“Highness,” The king watched as his daughter turned her attention to Lady Zillah.

“Hi Zillah,” Ary said cheerfully. “What do you have?”

“Mrs. Berma is here to see you. She says she may have some fabric that you’d like for the banners.”

“Fabric? Oh man this is when it would help if I had more x chromosomes,” The princess sighed.

“Highness?” Lola said.

Ary laughed. “You look like a girl I look like a guy. Or at least I dress like one.” Lola gave a faint smile but didn’t make a sound. “Alright Lola would you please over see the rest of the banner removals?”

“As you command,” Lola replied with a curtsy.

Ary smiled at the obedient maid. “Alright Lady Zillah, you lead the way.” With that the women headed off for the seamstress.

“She’s been working since about 6a.m.” Soren turned to see his captain only a couple of feet behind him to his right.

“Is that so?” The king commented. He walked away from the banister and as he began to descend the stairs the captain walked on his right sight. “What has she already done?”

“She’s met with the maids, gardener, has had Lady Zillah send out requests for more maids and gardeners and generally is allowing the kingdoms inhabitants to know we are hiring so to speak. Your daughter has already sent for Master Fale and Chitnie will be here soon to fix several doors and some other things.”

“How are the servants responding to her orders?” Soren inquired.

“With enthusiasm. I’m not sure they aren’t trying to be even more helpful than they were to her late majesty,” The captain replied.