Ary Makes a Request Part 15

Hi everyone. Sorry it has been so long but the story continues. That's what you really care about...right?

Chapter 15

(Ary Make's a Request)

Ary stood next to her mother as she spoke with Lady Onalynn. She still wasn't sure why but she found she liked the dark elf woman. As she listened to the two discuss environmental differences between the mortal realm and the Dark elf kingdom the princess noticed King Leoden walk by in the distance with a guard at his side. It wasn't unususal to see a guard at a king's side but it was normally their captian. Ary didn't like Leoden but she did like Xylin and had noticed he hadn't been at the king's side. "Excuse me," Ary said and walked over to where Braiden stood not far away. She sensed something was up and wanted to know.

"Braiden," Ary said walking up where he stood with Rhym.

"Princess," the guard replied.

"Rhym," she said giving him a nod.

"Princess," he replied giving her a respectful nod.

"I'm sorry to interrupt but something is off," The princess declared. "What's going on? Xylin isn't at the Jerk's side."

Rhym looked slightly confused but Braiden understood immediately what she was asking. "Xylin has turned in his resignation and asked to be replaced as King Leoden's captain," Braiden informed her.

Ary gave a nod and then smiled. "I already liked Xylin. I might actually like him more now. How much longer is he supposed to be with Leoden?" she asked.

"No more than a month." Rhym replied. "It might only be two weeks. I believe he sent word that Leoden was in need of a new captain. I'm not sure how long ago that was though."

"Thanks." The two men nodded. Ary was about to walk away when a thought came to her. Xylin had taught Cavin to fence. She looked at the two men about to ask where Cavin's friend was when she noticed him out on the terrace. "I'll be back in a few. I'm just going to walk outside for a few minutes." Braiden nodded and the princess headed for a glass door off to the side away from the main entrance to the terrace.

Ary slipped out the door and onto the covered terrace. A cool breeze had begun to gently blow but not cool enough to make her feel cold. Xylin was quietly standing at the banister looking down into the now restored interior courtyard. "Xylin," she called.

She watched as the fae man turned to face her. "Your highness," he said.

"May I join you?" she asked politely.

"Of course," he replied. He went to bow and seeing her give him an annoyed look while she cocked her head to the side he stopped. "Apologies."

"It's okay. I haven't fully broken Cavin of it yet either. But I'm working on it," she told him giving him a proud smile. The guard couldn't help but give the young woman a smile. "Anyway I wanted to talk to you about something without you feeling obligated because of anyone around."

"Obligated?" Xylin inquired.

"I've heard you'll be leaving Leoden soon," Ary stated.

"Yes, I am," he confirmed. "You're not going to talk me into staying with him."

"Stay with? Oh no, no, no, no, no, no. The Thought never even crossed my mind," she assured the captain. "No, I wanted to ask you to consider doing something for me," She said and looked down a little uncomfortable. Xylin was about to ask but remained silent sensing she had more to say. "I know I'm not a prince or a soldier or guardian or anything but..." Ary looked up at him and said, "I was hoping you'd consider teaching me to fence." Before Xylin could respond one way or another she added, "My grandmother has taught me some but we were somewhat limited in the other realm. It wasn't a lot of contact but I have held a sword before and gone through motions and all."