Part II

Sakura might have quelled at least some of Sasuke's fears, but she isn't as confident as she pretends. The idea that the fetus inside her is connected to as dark and tragic a past as Indra Ōtsutsuki is worrisome, but at the same time...

She has to admit she's curious.

That doesn't stop her being relieved when the dreams inexplicably stop bringing her to the strange beach. Her nightly visions become vague again, bursts of colour and emotion, occasionally faces that are familiar to her but inconsequential. She still experiences the frustrating moments of abuse, attacks from a faceless father and sister; these encounters paralyse her as she sleeps, and leave her irritated upon waking. But overall, there is such a vague and hurried quality to these that she suspects she is experiencing time passing.

This pattern continues long enough that it's almost a shock when she falls asleep one night and finds herself once more in a completely lucid, detailed dream.

She is sitting uncomfortably at a table in a richly decorated room, and the dim memories Sakura can access suggest that her attendance here is rare, perhaps even only occasionally required. Sitting across from her are two people whose presence not only disheartens her – the small, curious part of her had been hoping to meet Indra again – but also fills her with overwhelming wariness.

"There's talk among the court of a newcomer," Father says as the servants place their meals before them. "A man of great talent, said to be the son of a wise sage from the East. They say he can call lightning from the sky and breathe fire like the dragons of old."

"It would be useful to have such a man beholden to you," Older Sister remarks, sounding bored as she picks at her food.

"Yes, it is better to be on the side of a demon than in his path. Should the stories of this man be true, I intend to offer him alliance. I am told he is young and ambitious. Command of my armies should sway his loyalty. Or, perhaps, marriage."

Older Sister scowls. "Marriage to a foreigner won't grow the coffers of this land."

"Maybe not, but talents he is said to be able to teach could," Father says. "I am confident you'll do your duty, daughter." He then suddenly turns and barks, "What's that look for, Shachi? Have you something to say?"

They are both looking at her now and she realises that she is Shachi.

Her lips part. "If...if..."

"If...if...if..." Older Sister mocks. Sakura inwardly snarls, knowing if she had control of her body right now, she would wipe the floor with the painted doll before her.

"I-If Older Sister doesn't wish to marry h-him, I w-would take on th-that duty, F-Father. If it would p-please you."

He snorts. "Dishonour an important man with a concubine's spawn instead of the heiress to the land? I intend to court an ally, not lend insult. Keep your ridiculous opinions to yourself. Don't make me regret my generosity in allowing you to sit at my table."

"As you wish, Father." She bows.

"May the gods soon find me a man who can look past your whore of a mother's legacy and take you off my hands," he grumbles to himself.

Sakura – Shachi – looks down at her knees, shoulders sinking.

Older Sister sniggers. "Oh, don't look so downcast. Besides, if the stories of this stranger are true, he attracts many followers. Maybe someone among the riffraff will take an interest in you."

The two of them laugh, leaving Sakura – Shachi – clenching her fists.

They are at the back of an izakaya, scouring dishes from a busy dinner rush; they don't have any money tonight, and in exchange for a room they're helping with hostess out. Sasuke washes, Sakura dries. There has been nothing but companionable silence until she breaks it.