Chapter Twenty One

Start from the beginning

The nurse took him to the Shower Room which was just a large bathroom with several bathtubs and showers. He took a short bath and felt his temporary euphoria dilute into the water and leave his body. When he got out he put on the new uniform that she gave him before following her out.

When they arrived at the Sleeping Units Alister felt truly tired. He didn't know exactly how the whole going-to-Wonderland thing worked but what he did know was that when he woke up, he always felt well rested.

The Door appeared faster this time and he went through it before it could make a sarcastic remark. He said hi to Timmy and the La La Children before entering the Forest. He concentrated on the image of the large top hat that was the Hatter House and it wasn't long before it appeared behind a branch. Dislodging the Mushroom Man that clutched his leg, he made his way up the stairs and knocked on the door. Timothy had told him earlier that that was where Valentine had headed off to.

A sign appeared at the door that read 'Tea Party- Go to the back garden.'

Alister walked behind the house and came across a gate which opened before he could. There, sitting at a long table with enough tea sets for an army was the March Hare, Mister Hatter and Valentine. March took a sip from a cup that had been cut in half, Mister Hatter was taking bites out of a saucer and Valentine was adding sugar to an overflowing teacup.

"Why hel-llo Alister my boy!" Mister Hatter called out, "Are you here to celebrate our unbirthdays?"

"Unbirthday?" Alister queried.

"Why yes, today just happens to be Valentine's, March's and I's unbirthdays!"

Alister frowned. "What's an unbirthday?"

"Any day other than one's birthday silly!" Valentine replied, "So technically, it's your unbirthday too."

"It's your unbirthday too Alister?" March asked taking a bite out of a crumpet. "How marvellous!"

"Take a seat take a seat!" Mister Hatter cried, "We were just about to sing the unbirthday song!"

"A very merry unbirthday to you!" March and Valentine sang, pointing at Mister Hatter.

He looked pleasantly surprised. "To me?!"

"To you!"

"Well, a very merry happy birthday to you!" He sang back, pointing at March.

Now it was March's turn to look 'pleasantly surprised'. "To me?!"

"To you!"

"Well, a very merry unbirthday to you!" March sang to Valentine.

Valentine giggled. "To me?"

"To you!"

They went quiet for a moment before they all simultaneously turned to Alister.

"A very merry unbirthday to you!"

Alister rolled his eyes but could stop the small smile that crept onto his face. "To me?"

"To you!"

They all burst into laughter, Alister included. It was the March Hare though who recovered early.

He put his hand behind Mister Hatter's ear and brought out a cake before shouting "Make a wish! Make a wish!"

There were about forty candles on the cake and Alister wondered how the hell there could be that many candles on a small cake.

They all blew the candles and the cake made a small 'pop!'. It disappeared and in its place were four presents which each had their names printed on top. Valentine's was a pretty hairpin which she freaked out over, March's was a cup of mocha tea which got him in tears and claiming was the best unbirtday gift he had ever gotten and Mister Hatters was a top hat which he immediately wore. Alister's was a compass of some sort. When Valentine looked over she almost dropped her hairpin.