'What do you want, Stefan.' Elena spat, her height almost matching his despite his attempts to look down on her, patronise her.

'You need to know the truth.' Suddenly, all anger flooded in his eyes and was replaced by a dreadful looking guilt. 'I didn't want to. It's Klaus' story to tell but he won't tell you!' He shouted and threw the nearest thing he saw into the wall, it chipping under the pressure. 'I don't care about this stupid teacher role anymore; you need to know. I've waited years and I need to explain some things to you and I expect the same in return.' He sighed and leant against the wall, his eyes closed and his fists clenched.

'We should find somewhere more private, dismiss the class.' Elena stated, shoving her hands in her pockets, glowering. 'This is not what I want to do with my day but you need to calm down and if this will do so then go ahead.' It was true that growing up, Elena had been taught a certain amount of courtesy but like Klaus, she only used it when seemed fit- and, right now, didn't seem the right time. Elena had also become somewhat cruel in Klaus' presence and her eyes said it all. If looked could kill, hers would murder. She didn't want to waste her time with Stefan but somewhere in her own mind, she knew that he could have crucial information.

Stefan strolled back into the classroom and Elena heard his obnoxiously grovelling voice dismissing the class. All the students flooded out, including her friends, with smiles on their faces- that was one less lesson for them. Although, before her friends left, they approached her, curious look on their faces. 'Are you not coming?' Nicole said, looking up at Elena- she was even shorter than Chloe and Elena couldn't understand how her friends could both be so short. 'We've got a netball match after school, we need to get changed, why don't we now?' Chloe said, of course, she would only talk about sport- it was her natural state and was proven by her slim figure.

'I have to talk to Mr Salvatore.' The name slipped off her tongue like gunk. She rarely used his last name nor did she ever really say his name at all. The two other girls sighed; there was no getting her away from the mysterious English teacher that rarely taught them anything. They were going to fail their end of year tests.

Elena stalked away from her friends who were now bustling along with the rest of the small class to hide in the bathrooms before a teacher found out that they had just been let out- that was definitely not allowed. Stefan, meanwhile, led the way back into the classroom and when they were both alone in the room, he locked the door and sat down in the teacher's chair whilst Elena hopped up onto a desk timidly, watching as Stefan's eyes never left her. 'If we are going to do this, I am asking the questions first. I'm sure I have more than you do.' Stefan nodded, understanding the testament. 'I want to know more about vampires. Or more so, the original vampires.' Elena stated, not evading the question. She and Stefan were blunt people and there was no point in meandering around her true intentions.

'I'm almost as much in the dark as you are, Elena. The original family mysterious to even their closest allies, you prove that.' Stefan spun on his chair and faced the board, the whiteboard pen spinning between his fingers. He drew his chair up and began to write. Elena felt as if she had suddenly come into a lesson but I guess it was a replacement for the lesson that had just been dismissed and this was one was much more useful, for her, at least.

'Just tell me what you know.' She growled, leaning back in the hard plastic chair on the front row of the class. Her arms were folded protectively over her chest and her teeth were bared in a way that mimicked Klaus' menace.

'I already said I would, Elena. Don't get pent up.' The two were already fed up of being stuck in a room together. It felt as if the walls were closing in and they were smothered by each other's presence. 'They're powerful, we both know that. I also know they were born sometime in the dark ages or at least that was what the books told me.' Stefan wrote some more on the board. It was four symbols. Some were moons, others suns and one a mix of both.

'These are the symbols for a witch, vampire, werewolf and hybrid- a mix of a vampire and a werewolf.' Elena stood up, curiously walking to the board, tracing the lines with her finger, some of the ink blackening her fingers. 'I've seen these symbols a lot yet I haven't found what they mean. Nor have I even seen a vampire-werewolf hybrid.' Stefan spoke, adding a final symbol on. 'This is the final one that explains everything. Or, at least, I hope so. I haven't figured it out myself. It looks like a sacrifice but that's all I can decipher.' Elena agreed with him. The symbol was a raging fire surrounded by the symbol for a wolf, a witch and a vampire and within the fire, the symbol for a hybrid. 'I don't know anymore. I had only heard of them just before I found you.' Stefan stated, turning his back to the board as Elena trudged back to her seat.

'Found me?' She asked, lifting her eyebrows up. He nodded.

'I'd been looking for you for years. As soon as your room was burnt down actually.' Stefan looked incompetent to the subject. He cared much more about Elena than her family and the house she had once lived on. He was focused on the Original family and why they had taken Elena. Nothing else mattered.

'So, you met my family?' Elena's eyes looked hopeful but Stefan just sighed.

'Not personally. I know they're all still alive, that's it.' Stefan said and Elena's eyes went wide.

'My brother is dead.' She stated solemnly, the glint of hope in her eyes.

'No he isn't, is that what he told you?' Stefan barked out a laugh, he couldn't believe it. 'It seems you and Klaus have a lot to talk about, I'll leave this conversation for here now.' Elena nodded but her mind was elsewhere. Klaus had lied that her brother was dead.

Klaus had lied.

He lied that her brother had died.

He lied.

word count: 2063

published: 11.03.17