Ryan stares at what he’s done. The lines he’s made.

Why do people think these scars are beautiful? It doesn’t make any sense.

Some of the lines look like scratches. But… the last few lines… look worse. The last few are getting deeper.

The last of the lines… drawing a bit of blood somehow.

What am I doing to myself?

Ryan continues to sob quietly. He curls into a ball whilst laying in his bed. Not minding anymore what he’s done to himself.

~~~

Ryan wakes up, quickly sitting up causing himself to have a minor headache for a brief moment.

His eyes feels heavy. He feels tired, but he gets out of bed either way and heads to the bathroom for a quick shower.

He changes into any shirt he could find then throws on a gray sweater. And his usual pair of jeans. He takes a look at himself at the mirror.

“I hope Bryce won’t see what I’ve done to myself.” Ryan quietly says to himself and sighs.

~~~

Laughters can be heard so clearly as the group of friends- consisting of Ryan, Bryce, Luke, Jonathan, Brock, Brian, Craig, Tyler, Smitty, Scotty, and Anthony- are cracking out jokes of numerous things.

But in the back of Bryce’s mind, he wonders if Ryan is alright. Sure Ryan was being his usual happy self. Laughing. Bring up some of his nasty jokes. But Bryce couldn’t help but notice that Ryan has been in and out. As if something’s bothering him. He just doesn’t know what.

Ryan catches Bryce staring at him. Bryce quickly turns his head away, turning his attention back to the group that’s booming with positivity.

‘Why was he staring at me?’ Ryan questions himself. He also turns his attention to the group.

Continuing to share laughters. Continuing to share numerous jokes. Continuing to play games that they always had an interest in.

Night falls, the group share their goodbyes and head on to their own homes. Excited for another day of just being with each other. Especially while the summer days are still alive.

“Ryan! Could you hold up for a moment?” Bryce calls out.

Ryan stiffens at Bryce’s sudden statement. He was about to walk away. Maybe Ryan didn’t look convincing enough.

Not enough.

Not enough.

Not enough.

Never enough.

Never.

Enough.

“Ryan? You okay there? You’re zoning out on me again.” Bryce says in a worried tone.

Ryan lets out a half-hearted chuckle. “I guess I was too obvious huh?” he quietly says.