Eight

The air was sharp and chilled. With no breeze, the night was still. Maria stood just inside the dimly lit stables, talking to Leon as he got Roz saddled. Lean brushed a clammy hand along the leather pants that Maria had given her.

"Why would he kidnap me?" Leah thought to herself, biting at a fingernail to hold back her tears. There were too many questions that she needed answers for. She took a deep breath and shuddered, calming herself down. Her father was often out, doing business for the Lords, but he made sure to spend some time with Leah. The only thing she ever questioned was why he pulled her from later classes for Lords. It didn't make sense, especially when she was put up as a Ruler.

She was half asleep by the time Booth appeared. He said something to Maria and Leon before mounting onto his own horse. The pair made their way towards the spot where Leah sat waiting on Trix. As Booth kicked Roz into a trot, Leah turned her own horse to match their pace. Booth pulled back on Roz's reins, causing the bay to slide to a stop.

"What are you doing?" He asked, watching as Leah maneuvered the blue roan around to face the Coyote. Roz bobbed his head and reached out towards Trix. The two horses touched noses and snorted.

"I'm coming with you," Leah replied. Booth shook his head with a snort and clucked to Roz. The cherry bay bobbed his head and broke out into a trot. Leah spun Trix around and gave him a small kick. The two quickly caught up with Booth and Roz.

"You can't stop me. I have too many questions and the only way I will get them is by doing this. Nothing you say will make me stop," Leah stated, encouraging her own horse into pace to match Roz

"I'm not taking care of you," Booth grumbled, his hand tight on the reins. Roz snorted and kicked up his heels in protest at the sudden tension. The rider took a breath and loosened his hold on the thick reins.

"You don't have to, I just need answers," Leah replied. Booth did not reply, but led Roz through the forest as the sun rose over the horizon. He stopped at a stream, letting Roz get a drink. Booth jumped off of his mount and walked over to the stream using his hands to splash water onto his face.

"How are you going to protect yourself?" Booth asked, turning to face Leah, water dripping off of his brow. She smiled and pulled out the dagger that Maria had given her. Booth let out a heavy sigh and ran a hand through his dark hair.

"What?" Leah asked, noticing his frown.

"Can you use it?" Booth questioned, crossing his arms over his chest. The leather jacket he wore pulled at the shoulders, making him look even more muscular.

"It's a dagger, I can use it," Leah scoffed in reply.

"Hit that tree," Booth ordered as he pointed to a large oak tree. Leah looked over at the tree and looked back at Booth.

"Why?"

"Well can you throw it or not?" Booth questioned. Leah licked her lips and let out a sigh.

"What does that have to do anything?" Leah snapped, crossing her own arms over her chest. She knew that she had never thrown a dagger, but she was not about to let Booth know that as well.

"Just throw it," Booth growled. The sudden sound startled Leah and she jumped. With shaking fingers, she pulled the dagger out of the sheath and threw it towards the tree. It landed halfway between her and the tree. Leah and Booth both stared at it as if it would grow legs and walk away.

"Oh for heaven's sake," Booth grumbled as he walked to pick up the dagger.

"What?" Leah snapped. "Just because I can't throw a dagger doesn't mean anything." Booth walked over and pointed the dagger up at Leah.

"You're going to have to learn. If you are going to follow me around, you will need to know how to kill someone. If you cannot do so, you will die." Without saying another word, Booth twirled the dagger in his hands, gently grabbing the blade and positioning the hilt so Leah could grab it safely. She took the hilt in her hand and he let go, walking back over to Roz.

"Then teach me," Leah said, straightening her back. She stared Booth down, daring him to give in. The man growled and closed his eyes.

"Fine."