Chapter 8

"Cas, I need sleep!" the hunter barked, sitting up and glaring at his friend.

"Yes I know that, Dean, but we really do need to talk about this," the angel responded, no small amount of anger present in his tone. Dean rolled his eyes and pressed his face into the pillow with a groan. He had been trying to take advantage of Sam's absence to get a much-needed nap. Sam had even outright told him that he didn't need Dean and Cas to accompany him to interview Halley Wilson. Why now of all times Cas had decided to bring up Dean's overprotectiveness he didn't know.

"Cas we've been through this like six times," he growled into his pillow. "You're human now and you have to take care of yourself. It's not my fault that you're crappy at it."

The other man snatched the pillow off his head and threw it across the room. He yanked Dean up by the arm and got right up in his face.

"I may be human, Dean, but I am certainly not weak. I am just as capable as you and I am tired of you treating me as though I were going to fly apart at any moment." he hissed, eyes narrowed in an impression of the Cas that Dean had first met all those years ago in that barn. Dean pushed him off with a huff and marched away towards the couch, Cas following close behind.

"Dean. Dean! Do not ignore me!" Cas demanded, placing a hand on Dean's shoulder. The hunter spun around in a fraction of a second and knocked the other man's hand off his shoulder, maybe a little harder than necessary.

"This conversation is not happening, Cas." he barked, "End of discussion."

Dean thought Cas was going to hit him––the angel was glaring at him so intensely that Dean could literally feel the burn of his anger––and so he raised his arm automatically in anticipation. But Cas didn't hit him. Instead he did something that surprised Dean even more––he reached up, grabbed his face with both hands, and kissed him. Cas kissed him.

It was chaste and violent and over before Dean had even really had time to register that it was happening. The hunter was frozen in place, eyes wide open in shock. And the second that it was over Cas looked more embarrassed than Dean had ever seen him. He instantly dropped his hands and stared furiously at the desk in the corner of the motel room.

Dean felt white hot anger boil up in him, and he opened his mouth to yell at the man in front of him––probably what the hell, dude?! or don't touch me! or something along those lines––but his breath abandoned him in the last moment and he ended up just glaring at Cas with his mouth open like a fish out of water. The ex-angel's eyes were roaming all over the room, looking anywhere but Dean. The color was rising in his cheeks, a blush to rival the heat of Dean's own face. And the hunter didn't know what possessed him to do it but all of a sudden he reached forward, grabbed Cas by the lapels of his stupid trench coat and slammed their mouths together.

It was obviously the last thing that Cas had been expecting. The former angel yelped in shock and threw his arms out to steady himself as Dean yanked him off balance. His body went rigid as Dean pulled him closer into the kiss, eyes resolutely closed and brain trying desperately to shut off. But when the hunter slid his tongue roughly over Cas's lower lip, the other man honest-to-god-whimpered and his body melted against Dean's, fingers sliding up to tangle in the short blonde hair at the base of Dean's neck.

The kiss started off angry and rough but Cas was making these little noises and Dean couldn't stay mad. He hungrily pushed his tongue deeper into the other man's mouth, releasing the death grip on his coat and sliding an arm around his Cas's waist to pull the angel flush against his body. Cas moaned at the contact and tried to press himself even closer to Dean, standing on his tiptoes to get better access to the hunter's mouth. The angel's tongue shyly flicked out to meet Dean's and Dean couldn't help himself––he audibly gasped. Cas smiled into the kiss at his reaction and Dean suddenly felt the urge to roll his eyes. Cheeky bastard.