Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

"Hello, Mrs. Prior," Uriah says politely.

Mom taps her chin for a moment as though she is thinking, and her eyes light up as she remembers how she knows him.  "Uriah Pedrad," she says warmly.  "I believe I've told you before to call me Natalie."  She turns to Tobias.  "Nice to see you again as well, Four."  Tobias smiles back at her nervously.

The house is just as I remember it-- tidy, as sparsely furnished and decorated as Tobias's apartment, the slight scent of lemon in the air from the cleaners my mother uses.  I breathe it in and a feeling of comfort washes over me, settling my nerves for a moment.

My father stands near the fireplace, in front of the worn, overstuffed gray chair he spends each evening in.  Patches are threadbare, and stuffing shows in one corner.  I used to rub my thumb back and forth on that spot, and I have to resist the impulse to graze my fingers once again over the familiar texture.  I introduce Uriah as my father studies him critically, surely thinking something about Dauntless hooligans, then Tobias.  I can tell he recognizes Tobias on some level, but can't quite place him.  Finally, he looks me over, and I can see the disappointment and disapproval in his eyes as he takes in my tight black tank top, ripped black jeans, and the tattoo on my collarbone.  "Beatrice," he says evenly.

He is still upset with me.  But I know in my heart, without a shadow of a doubt, that deep inside that anger is just hurt-- hurt that Caleb and I left him and Mom, left them with too much quiet and two empty seats at the dinner table-- and really, he still loves me more than words could ever adequately describe.  Enough that he would die for me.  I know he would, because I watched him do it, the same night I watched my mother die for the same reason.  I need to make sure they don't once again end up in a position to make that choice.

"Hi, Dad.  I've missed you," I whisper.  After a moment of awkward staring, I introduce my companions.  "This is Uriah Pedrad.  He is one of my best friends, and a Dauntless-born initiate."  Tobias and I lock eyes for a moment before I continue.  We talked about what we were going to tell them before we left Dauntless, but I'm still unsure how quickly I should reveal anything, everything.  "This is Four," I say simply.  Tobias nods to my father, trying to make him feel more comfortable.  The Abnegation don't shake hands, and honestly, I know Tobias is more comfortable without the physical contact, anyway.

I feel deep blue eyes burning into me.  I guess we start with this, then.  "Uh... Mom knows that Four is my instructor.  I should probably tell you both that we're also... seeing each other."  I force myself to meet my father's gaze and he... is... furious.

"How old are you?" he spits at Tobias.

"Eighteen, sir.  I-- I care very much for your daughter, and I promise to do everything I can to protect her."  That was odd.  It's not like Tobias to stutter or hesitate like that.

Dad turns to me.  "You're too young, Beatrice.  I--"

I gather my courage.  I'm an adult now.  If I am adult enough to choose who I will be for the rest of my life, adult enough to fight in a war, then I am certainly adult enough to make my own decisions about whether I am old enough to date a boy just two years older than me.  "I prefer Tris now, Dad," I say calmly, "and I don't think I'm too young at all.  You and Mom were only fifteen when you fell in love, weren't you?  And in different factions, unlike T- Four and me."  Dad just stares at me with his jaw dropped.  My parents never told me how they met, or when.  I learned all of that from Zoey, at the Bureau.  "You struggled in psychology class, but Mom was good at it, so you would meet at Buckingham Fountain for her to tutor you.  Do I have everything correct?"  He slowly nods.  "Good.  Now, I suppose, we have established that I know things.  How I know is not important.  But the things we need to discuss tonight are.  I'm sure Four will tell you more about himself when he is made comfortable enough here."  Tobias and I discussed earlier what my parents need to know... and what he needs to reveal about himself to have that conversation.