A Good Summer

Lin Manuel Miranda pov:

   I sat quietly on the cabin porch watching the campfire. I debated going down but I'd rather everyone focus on getting comfortable then me. I spot four figures sitting on their own and I don't need a second glance to know who they are. The revolutionaries were never really out going, they were shy and I didn't blame them. What they went and are still going through must have really taken its toll. So like every year the fire goes on and everything sits and talks until something happens...

   I watch as Asia stands up. "How about we sing something?" She questions, the children cheer in agreement.  Asia looks around, eyes landing on a guitar.  "Sing along if you know if" I hear faintly, she looks around and finally she finds me, she smiles and waves me over. I put my mug down and jog over, after a few hellos I sit next to her.  "Sing with me? I don't want to do this alone" she whispers, I nod throwing a arm around her shoulder and we begin the song. (It's the song above in my mind)

   By the last chorus children are clapping and dancing but most of them a drifting to sleep. "Enjoy your first sleep at Camp Manuel Miranda" I say as consuellers lead their kids off to bed. "Get dressed in something warm then meet me on the dock" I say to the four teenagers, they eagerly rush up to their cabins as I make my way to the dock.

    We sit with our feet suspended over the water, the breeze is chilly but we're enjoying ourselves none the less. "So how are you guys doing... seriously" I ask, they all seem to look down. "I think I can say on behalf of all of us that I'm happy we're here" Jackson says, they nod in agreement. "Tobi, how's things with your parents?" I ask, they sigh. "No change from last summer, and the bullying has gotten worse" they say, I frown giving them a side hug. "Micheal? Is the treatment for your dad working?" I ask, he shakes his head no. "Jackson, have you told your parents?" I ask, he laughs. "Have I told my Christian parents I'm gay? No," he says, I frown, these kids don't deserve this.

   "Lin" Asia piped up. I look over "mhmm?" I reply.  "How are you?" She asks, I'm a bit taken aback. "Well I'm excited about summer starting but I'm sad to here the circumstances you're all facing" I say.  "I think I can speak on be half of all of us when I say you definitely make it better" she says, they all nod in agreement once again and engulf me in a group hug.

   It's going to be a good summer.