Chapter 4: The Deal

I was rather still for a bit after Aaron left the tent, only flipping through the book;Though that rushed poem was the last page in the journal, I kept searching and scanning for answers in every line. For some kind of sign. 

Then, Aaron's words flashed through my head again, "It's almost as if you are scared to-" 

I laughed somewhat bitterly out loud, " 'almost?' Nah, it's probably more apparent then that." I decided to take a walk. I strolled through the now-quiet outpost many had made their home, the full moon illuminating my way. Before long, I found myself on the outskirts of the area, atop a hill that had a rather nice (and tactically advantageous) view of the terrain for quite a few miles out, until you could just barely see the outline of the stronghold known as Demon's Keep. 

I sat alone, staring for what felt like ages at the silhouette that really wasn't even visible at night. Tonight's bright full moon was the exception to that, of course. 

"Pitch, how are you doing right now?" I asked in the direction of the keep, as if the night's air could carry my message that far to him. If only. 

I decided it'd be better if I didn't focus on the stronghold for now, I'd have plenty of time tomorrow. So instead, I looked up and gazed at the moon. 

"You're still here," I whispered to it, "you've always been there for me, and you haven't left. You were there when I was in so deep I could only swim down." I silently thanked her, then I stood, knowing I needed sleep. I headed back to my tent.

~Pitch~

When I was forced to work for Vivian, I found myself under the same title I'd had before I was Hero's demon: "Pitch, The Dark One."

I'd liked the name before being Hero's demon, but now, because it was Vivian and the people following her calling me it, I kinda hated it. Luckily Vivian doesn't waste formalities on me most of the time. 

I took long strides down the hall, my cobalt blue cape swayed agilely behind me. The cape was new-Nearly my whole outfit was, actually. I used to always wear just a sweater and jeans, but Vivian wanted me living up to my title of "Dark One." Now, my outfit's honestly a pain to wear. Yet, I still can't go against Vivian's direct orders;that's how we demons make deals. You keep your side of the agreement, or the other side completely ignores their end of the bargain as well. 

I will continue to keep Hero safe until my dying breath, if necessary. 

I lightly shook my head, clearing it before pushing open the doors now in front of me open. Now, I was in the room where her Royal Avocado Highness sat atop her throne. 

I bowed upon entering, and forced out a formal greeting, "evening, your highness."

"Oh, Pitch, darling," she purred-it annoyed me-"you needn't be so formal. Do we not go back for ages?" 

I replied cooly, "her highness is above me, I mustn't speak as if we were equal."

She rolled her eyes, and decided to get to the point. "This'll make those pointy elf-ears perk up:guess who's coming over to play tomorrow~?" My ears, did, indeed, shoot upwards in surprise at this.

*Little-known fact: my giant, pointed ears have two pros: many think they're cute, and I can hear well. They also have two cons: I sometimes hear things I don't want to hear, and they expose my emotions and do so faster than my face can.

Vivian smirked, and continued, "I'm sure we both know exactly who's coming over for a playdate." 

"Yes, that would be correct," I grit my teeth, trying to remain calm.