A Foreboding Dream

A frigid breeze blew around the foggy forest, lifting fallen leaves off the ground and swirling them around the single bed that lay beside a small lake clearing. The cold wind woke Matthew Patrick. Confused and stunned to see that his bed was transported into the wilderness. What had happened? Quickly he looked beside him to see that his wife was not there. The blanket was pulled off on her side. It was warm. Where could she be?

Barefoot, Matthew hopped off the bed, wondering where his partner is. He wandered into the fog.

"Stephanie?  Steph are you there?" No response. "Where am I anyway...?" 

Matthew strained his eyes and ears in hope of finding his spouse. It wasn't like Steph to just disappear without saying anything. A few minutes pass by and Matthew's worry grows by the second. His heart began sinking. Horrible thoughts began to flood his mind. Could she had been kidnapped? Hurt? Lost and afraid? Or... NO.  He couldn't bare to even think of the worst possibility.

"Stephanie! Stephanie where are you?!" shouted Matthew as he frantically called out to his beloved wife. No response. "Stephanie can you hear me?! Please, say something! " For a moment it was silent. All the Theorist could hear was the sound of dead leaves crunching under his feet.

"...Ma, Matthew. ...help...me..." there it was. Stephanie faintly pleading for rescue. The young man felt his heart drop with fear.

"I'm coming for you Stephanie,  just hold on!" Immediately he ran towards her voice with tears streaming down his cold cheeks.

*crackle crackle crackle*

At the sudden sound of crackling Matthew slowed to a halt. He drew a deep breath. And looked back. A heavy black smoke was swallowing the area behind him. Flames licked the dying trees to a crisp. Along with the fire, ghastly cries of agony echoed throughout the burning forest. The cries of pain became louder and louder as the fire raged. 

Matthew began fleeing for his life. The further he ran, the denser the smoke became until he could no longer see. He stopped, desperately gasping for air and hoping to find Stephanie and a way out of this nightmare. It was useless. The fire was rapidly devouring everything in sight.  He grew weak. Finally falling to the hard ground, barely conscious. Emerging from the fire appeared a hooded woman mounted on a horse made of only bones. Her face was hidden. She dismounted her steed and walked slowly towards Matthew. At this point the young man was  at the verge of fainting from inhaling the burning remains of the forest. She spoke in an archaic language while drawing a rapier she had hidden in her robe, raising it above the Theorist. Suddenly, everything went pitch black.

***

"Matthew. Matthew wake up." Stephanie gently shook her husband awake from the nightmare he was having.  

Matthew sat up, breathing heavily and wiping the cold sweat from his forehead. 

Stephanie placed her hand on Matthew's back."How are you doing there buddy? Are you alright?"

"Oh Stephanie." He hugged her tightly and let go a sigh of relief. "I'm glad you're safe. I just had this terrible nightmare."

"There, there. Everything is fine. I guess we shouldn't have played for Scary Games Friday, huh? Let's just relax and enjoy the first day of our well deserved vacation." with that, Stephanie gave Mat a light kiss on the forehead and snuggled back under the blanket.

Matthew stayed sitting for a moment. Taking in the view of his bedroom. The sun's rays were seeping through the blinds. Birds were cheerfully chirping in the distance. His wife in a peaceful slumber, far from harm's way. Everything was calm and as perfect as can be. Yet, he couldn't shake the feeling of something dreadful is just around the corner...