Chapter 23: Strike

Start from the beginning

A soft knocked on the door, and instantly, our attention drifted to the door that was slowly opening. Osvaldo walked in with a magazine in his hands. There's a glint of panic in his amber eyes which pique my curiosity, and all my worries about the proposal temporarily forgotten.

"Your Grace," he curtsied briefly, then made his way towards us, shifting his gaze between grandpa and me. He looked uncertain. 

"What's the matter, Osvaldo?" Grandpa asked before I could speak, and Osvaldo instantly turned to face Grandpa and silently handed him the magazine. 

"Your highness, early this morning, a group of women were camping in front of the Markovich hotel and the bank. A group of women's association, fighting for women's right, and they are protesting against his grace. Apparently, an undisclosed information had reached the media. 

As soon as his words sunk in my head, I shot up from my seat and grabbed the magazine that grandpa was reading. 

"Who gave them the permission to publish such thing? Call Antoine, I want that article stop from being released, ASAP. And bring to me the editor in chief of the Chestnyye lyudi (honest people) magazine, the publisher, or whoever behind this issue!" Grandpa growled gruffly, barely containing his anger. "I'll make sure this will be their last issue..."

Grandpa's voice fading as the magazine grabbed my full attention. I stared at the huge, bold letter on the front page of the magazine.

THE DUKE'S SURREPTITIOUS WAYS.

A woman came to us to reveal a secret which will shock the whole Russia. We will not name her for the sake of her protection. According to her, the Russia's Eighteenth Duke wasn't as much as what they thought him to be. A perfect man. A loyal, loving boyfriend to his one and only girlfriend. Everything he showed was nothing but lies. 

He promised her the world, his love, just like the rest, used her, and once he's done with her, he threw her out of his life. 

Is Natalia Petropoulis was also just a front?

I didn't finish the column. I stared at the picture. It was me, half naked, halfway of getting my shirt on. 

My hands clenched tightly. "FUCK!" I grumbled furiously and threw the crumpled magazine towards the fireplace. It went flying and landed on the carpeted floor.

Turning to face Osvaldo, he stared at me anxiously. "Find Maye Smith!" I scowled at Osvaldo. He shook visibly as he curtsied and strode off towards the door. 

"Calm down, Raffy. I'll deal with the women's association leader. I'll explain it to them. Now, that proposal problem, it's solved." I stared at grandpa with confusion, my eyes narrowing at him.

How could he tell me to calm the fuck down? 

"And how is that gonna solve the problem, grandpa. The people hated me now, and if Natalia finds out, I'll be damned!" my jaws tightened in repressed anger.

"It's time to clear it out. Tell the whole world that you're just human being. You are not perfect, and you are tempted. Say whatever you need to say, how do you feel, and live on TV, propose to Natalia. Tell her how much you love her. Then, it's for the Russian people to choose who to believe, you or the woman who feed lies to the media." Grandpa explained, and a little hope rose in my chest.

I contemplated his words, and he was right. This is my chance to rectify all that I've done, maybe apologize to the women I've unintentionally hurt.

"Yuliana!" Grandpa called out, and in a second, the door opened. Yuliana walked in across the room, then stopped and curtsied. 

"Contact all the media, all TV producers. Arranged a meeting with the Duke and me, tomorrow morning, ASAP." Grandpa ordered.

"Will do, your grace." She nodded, then she continues. "Your grace, the security team had managed to seized the rest of the remaining magazines from the two hundred that was already out in the store. The rest, we captured them before it left the publishing warehouse." Yuliana reported, and I felt a little relieved, but I can't just stand and watch. "Where would you like it to send them?" she asked, shifting her gaze between us.

"Burn them!" I answered without waiting for Grandpa's response. Turning my gaze at grandpa, I spoke, struggling to keep my temper at bay. "I'll just talk with my security team." I grit out, and Grandpa nodded. 

I quickly strode off, heading to the door. As soon as I'm out, I quickly pulled my phone out of my pocket and dialed my chief security, Rodion.

"Find Maye Smith, and bring her to me!" I grumbled as soon as the call connected. 

"Yes, your grace," came his gravelly tone. With that, I ended the call.

She'll regret the very day she met me!

.....