Chapter 53: Frozen

Start from the beginning

"Well, it's nice to hear when someone likes you!" I stick up for myself. "It doesn't mean anything."

"So, I mean...what about Scorpius?"

I sigh. "He doesn't want to be with me."

"It's weird that you two aren't together," Jenny says. "I always thought that you would just work this out."

"Me too, but I guess not."

It was around dinner time when Jenny and I finished out paintings. It was fun to paint and create something without using any magic at all. They looked pretty cool too. We left them in Jenny's dorm to dry and then went down for dinner together.

I was expecting to see Lily there because I've been meaning to talk to her, but she wasn't at dinner, and I didn't see Lorcan either. Well, I'm pretty sure that who I saw was Lyssander, but I can never be sure with the two of them.

After dinner, I said goodbye to Jenny and went up to my dorm and sat down with my book. I was just getting comfortable when Lily barged into the dorm.

"Lorcan thinks we should keep the baby," Lily says, the door slamming behind her. "He didn't say why or how, or anything, just that we should keep it, and then he kissed me."

"Aw," I say because that's fucking adorable. But apparently Lily's not thinking it's an "aw" type of situation because her eyes go wide. "What? That's nice."

"Okay, sure but how am I supposed to have a baby? I'll be sixteen years old when it's born. How will I go to school with a baby?"

"We can figure out all of that stuff later--"

"No!" Lily exclaims. "There is no later! I can't just pretend like that's a possibility."

"What if someone else takes care of the baby while you go to school? I mean, you're lucky enough that you have about a hundred family members who will take care of that baby like it's their own."

She thinks for a minute. "I guess so, but they have lives, jobs, other things to do."

"I won't," I say, speaking without really thinking, yet again. I should really stop doing that. "I will be graduated from Hogwarts by then. I can take care of your baby."

Lily just stares at me. "Rose, you can't... no, I don't want you to give up your life--"

"You guys are my life. Seriously. And I'm sure people would help me."

Lily, seeming relaxed, takes a seat on the foot of the bed. "You're right, we can decide all the details later. But thank you for that offer." She sighs. "So I guess I'm going to have a baby."

"I mean, what were you going to do?" I wonder. Lily never mentioned anything to me about not keeping the baby, but apparently, she's been thinking about it.

"Adoption? Probably."

"Oh," I say. "Well, you've still got about seven months to decide what you really want to do. And I think its good that Lorcan knows now. How exactly did it go?"

"I found him in the Ravenclaw common room, which took me a few minutes to get into actually. I thought I was good at riddles, but that one was hard! Anyway, I found him in there, then we went to his dorm and I told him."

"How did he seem?"

"He looked a bit shocked at first. And confused. But then he just wanted to make sure I was okay."

"He's so sweet."

"I know." She thinks for a second. "You know I was thinking, there's got to be other girls, well not just girls, guys too, that don't know about this kind of thing. They should really have some class or something to teach us about this. I know most people hear it from their parents, but what about kids that don't have parents?"