Chapter 42: 2017

Kings Cross Station, 2017

I was at Platform 9 ¾. It was beautiful, everything about it. The bustling of people scrambling to get on the train, everyone saying goodbye to their families. Even the smell of the smoke coming from the train was just delightful.

I found Al on the train finally, he was behind the rest of us. I grabbed his hand and dragged him to the compartment where James, Fred, Roxy, Dom, Molly, and Vic were sitting. All us Weasleys (and two Potters) crammed into one train compartment.

Roxy was asking Vic about Teddy, her boyfriend. Teddy was here to say goodbye to all of us, his first year not coming with us, but we all know he was mostly here for Vic. Then Dom started talking about some boy she has a crush on. I thought all this talk about boys was sort of stupid. Boys are just, well, gross.

Fred put a spell on his chocolate frog to make it dance. That made me desperately want candy from the trolley. When the woman rolling it came around, I took out the two galleons dad gave me for the trip. He said getting candy from the trolley is the most important part. We didn't tell mum, of course.

I got one of each type of candy, chocolate frogs, Bertie and Bott's Every Flavour Beans, Cauldron Cakes, Fizzing Whizzbees, and so much more. It was hard to carry it all in just two hands.

Al was sitting across from me, staring at the floor. I snapped in his face and he blinked. "What?"

"Why are you so down? Aren't you excited?" I asked. "We're going to Hogwarts. We are finally going to Hogwarts!"

"I know." He said depressingly. I knew what this was about.

"Listen, it's really no big deal if you get into Slytherin, no one's gonna hate you."

"Yeah, but Slytherins the place for bad people-"

"No, it's not, it's for the cunning and the sly, the clever." I interrupt. "There's nothing that says 'all Slytherin students are bad, mean crazy murderers'."

I get Al to laugh a bit, showing he is finally loosening up a bit. And even though he might be in Slytherin and I am going to be a Gryffindor, it doesn't mean we won't see each other again. 

I spend the rest of the trip talking to Roxy and Dom, my favorite two older cousins until it is time to get changed into our new robes and ready to go.

When Hagrid, mum and dads friend, greeted us outside of the train, he led us to the boats we would be riding to Hogwarts. I had to admit, I don't know why they let us ride the boats over the Great Lake, one of the scariest lakes there is. Both mum and dad were taken down there by merpeople and they both said it was terrible. And I've read that no one really knows what else lies beneath the surface. But nonetheless, Hogwarts is beautiful from this view.

It is all lit up by the moon and candles in the window, the only word I can find to describe it is magical. I am in the boat with Al and a nice, shy girl named Jenny. But, we are also in the little boat with Scorpius Malfoy.

I've only heard about him before, never met him properly. I don't know much about him other than Dad and Uncle Harry never got along with his dad when they were in school. They still don't really get along from what I know, but I do know that it's not as bad as when they were at Hogwarts.

Dad told me to beat Scorpius in every test, and I intend to do so. I already know I will, I've been studying for far longer than I bet he has.

He doesn't really talk for the short trip, none of us do. We are all just really interested in the castle, and how beautiful it is.

When we finally reach the building, I am surprised that the inside is somehow even more beautiful than the outside. There are columns and archways, inspiring statues and sculptures. There are also lots and lots of paintings on the walls, all chattering away. I begin to wonder what the paintings are up to during the summer months.