CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR

Beginne am Anfang

Enfri held on to her father, trying her best not to sob uncontrollably. "You're here," she breathed. "I've... This isn't the first time. I've seen you here before."

She felt Yora nod and hum his assent.

"In Marwin, when I drank the anesthetic, you were there."

"Always, Enfri. From your first breath."

Enfri pulled back, startled. "Always?"

"Well..." Yora scratched at the back of his head, sheepish. "Fine, not always. I turn my back when I got no business peeping in on what you're up to. Your old man has no place in certain places." He raised an eyebrow, a twinkle in his green eyes. "More and more often, I need to knock some blustering heads around to give you some privacy. Some of these codgers are the worst sort of lechers."

Enfri felt her cheeks heat up. She'd never really put a lot of thought towards the ancient emperors getting an eyeful whenever she made love with Jin. She determinedly thought about anything but, to be honest.

"I like her," Yora said with a smile. "She suits you, and it's no secret around here how much you love her."

"I thought... you would disapprove. Because she's..."

"A royal assassin?" Yora ventured. "Daughter of the Highest King and the niece of the swine what sent me here?"

Enfri winced. "More or less."

"I think you and I should know better than anyone not to judge people by their family." He tapped his knuckles to her chin. "Anyone that looks at you the way she does is alright by me."

Enfri smiled as she wiped her eyes.

"But winds and storms, girl. A princess. You're not one to pluck fruit low to the ground at all."

Enfri pursed her lips. "I will not listen to my father talk of... plucking fruit!"

He raised his palms and laughed. "Poor choice of words. Unlike some, I never learned how to speak proper from ladies and kings and all these other fancy types you go around with."

Enfri wrinkled her nose. Winds, but wasn't this supposed to be... heart-felt and touching? But no, he was laughing and carrying on as if... Well, as if her were a village girl's father. Enfri thought this was everything she could have hoped for.

"I've... always wanted to meet you, Father."

Yora's eyes sparkled with amusement. "So formal?"

Enfri laughed, and she couldn't stop the tears that fell from her eyes. "Alright, then. Papa."

There might have been a tremor in Yora's expression, or a glistening in his eyes. He took Enfri by the hand and looked down to the ground beside them. A spear lay half-buried in the sand at their feet. Enfri bent as if to pick it up, but her father held her back.

"That's not really your thing, is it?" Yora rolled the spear towards him with his foot and kicked it up to his waiting grasp. He held it lightly in his left hand and couched it in the crook of his arm. "You may need to when you're winning battles and saving the day, but you don't need to be something you're not with me."

Enfri gave him an incredulous look. "A protective father, or overprotective?"

"No back talk," he said with mock severity. "Allow your old man his vices."

She covered her mouth and giggled as he led her down a sand-logged street.

They were alone within the Imperial City. At least, they appeared to be alone. Wherever they went, no matter how far they walked, there was always an itch between Enfri's shoulder blades. The sensation of being watched followed her all the way to the Opalescent Road.