CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

The Salt Stone Palace was quiet. Unnaturally so. The Romov wing was usually bustling with nobles and servants alike, and Pacifica's chambers in particular saw heavy traffic. Today, however, the city was occupied with other happenings. The crowds were already gathering at the city gates, and Pacifica hadn't seen a good reason to keep most of the palace staff from taking part.

It wasn't often they would have the chance to see an empress off on a quest to meet her destiny.

Strength poured into her from far away. Immediately afterward, she felt a loss of her ether. The initial gift had been a warning as Adar drew from her to work his spellcraft. Her Ascendent was finishing up the repairs in the ballroom, a parting gift for Ecclesia. He spellwrought fire-damaged marble back to its original state.

Adar sent a little ether back, the signal that he was finished. Pacifica was nearly done with her own preparations and would meet up with the Ascendant in the carriage yard shortly.

Princess Pacifica faced her standing mirror to look herself over. She was dressed for travel. No skirts or corsets, but sturdy leggings and a stiff bodice. The sleeves of her white undershirt had impractical lace ruffles at the cuffs and collar, but Pacifica hadn't been able to resist having a little finery. Otherwise, she wore plain colors and common materials. Waves, but she ought have considered wearing outfits like these more often. Pacifica thought she looked phenomenal. Reyn was on to something by always wearing things like this.

You're leaving Altier Nashal for the first time in your life, she thought, and you're stuck thinking about your outfit? Head out of the clouds, Princess.

Then again, her head was about to be thrown right back into the clouds. Adar wouldn't try to fly off with her right away, would he? Pacifica's short ride on Deebee during the Battle of Ecclesia had been harrowing, though perhaps in a good way. Romovs were traditionally mariners, but Pacifica liked to think that an aviator wouldn't be too bold of a divergence.

Her Ascendent was another source of worry. They'd gotten to know each other somewhat since the ceremony the day before, and Pacifica was positive they could work well together. Even so, Enfri had known Deebee all her life, and Ban had been with Kimpo for a time before their bond was forged. The dragon bonds were ideally intimate connections between two friends. Pacifica could only hope that she and Adar would grow into theirs in the future.

"Are you certain you wish to go, my lady?" Reyn asked as she secured a pair of goggles to Pacifica's head. The goggles were designed to be pulled down over the eyes and pushed back up with ease. The lenses were set in a leather band that covered Pacifica's ears and forehead. More utilitarian than fashionable.

Pacifica finished her braid by tying a gold ribbon at the end. She used a simple knot. Putting a bow in her hair felt wrong. She was a knight now. An arcanist knight, though she supposed she barely qualified for the name; fighting and spellcasting weren't skills she'd ever developed. Pacifica had only been aware of her mark for two weeks, and she'd never received education in any of the five disciplines. Sasha was the arcanist of the two of them.

Enfri didn't become an alchemist until recently. Arcane training isn't necessarily a prerequisite. Still, no more excuses. If I'm going to call myself a Diamond Knight, I have to learn spellcraft of my own. Adar offered to teach me wizardry, and I'd be wise to accept.

Reyn drew closer to where Pacifica stood before the mirror. "My lady?"

"I'm certain," Pacifica said. She reached behind her to take Reyn by the hand. "I appreciate that you're worried about me, but this is my duty now."