OppositeSides|PeterParker

■■■

I slipped on the mask of my black outfit as I stood on the roof of the building. I had chosen the place specifically, easy in and easy out, planned for weeks. This was it.

I extended my long brown wings, pushing air beneath me, I flew straight up, suddenly closing my wings, I dropped straight down trough the glass skylight of the jewelry store. Opening my wings just before I hit the ground.
I landed smoothly on the white tile, the glass crunched beneath my boots as I walked to the counters, smashing the glass cases with a metal vase.
Alarms echoed through the store as I scooped up rings, necklaces, and earrings into a bag as fast as I could.

"Never seen a cat burglar with wings before." I heard a voice. My eyes darted to the ceiling. Figures I thought.

"Mind your own business." I spat at the brightly colored SpiderMan

"Can't do that." He said, jumping off the ceiling and landing before me.

"Sure you can," I said, "just look over there while I leave."

"Nope." He took a few steps towards me, "now, you have the right to remain silent, everything-"

I extended my wings and pushed down on the air, lifting myself off the tile floor and making my way to the skylight.

I felt something grip my leg, and yank me down. I landed right on the floor, pain shot through me.

"You're not getting away." I heard him say, he stood a few feet away from me, I felt his webbing on my wings. I got to my hands and knees, holding on to my bag of jewels. I extended my wings once more, easily breaking through his webbing.

"Oh shit." I heard him say as I hit him with my wing span, I didn't stick around. I pushed down with my wings once more, flying straight trough the hole in the ceiling. Flying as fast as I could. I was completely aware of him swinging off buildings behind me.

There was a place where he couldn't follow.
Up.
High above the tall skyscrapers.
I finally lost him.

■■■

I changed out of my suit, pulled my wings into the skin of my back, leaving me looking like any regular girl. Took off my mask and stuffed it in my backpack along with the jewels. I knew the owner of a bear by pawnshop who bought stolen things. This wasn't my first time at this game.

I walked a few blocks home, finally reaching my apartment floor.
I pulled my keys out of my pocket as I walked the empty hall.
A door opened ahead of me, letting out a boy.

"Hey, Peter." I smiled at him. He turned in my direction and smiled back as I walked closer to him.

There it was, the smile that seemed to lift a weight off my shoulders. The smile that seemed a bit exhausted as he tossed the trash bag into the chute in the wall.

"Rough night?" I asked.

"You could say that." He answered, "How's your mom doing?"

"Um.." I dropped my gaze "Still at the hospital."

"I'm sorry." He said, shoving his hands in his pockets, "anything I can do?"

"No, not really." I said, he surprised me, suddenly pulling me into his arms.

"I'm here if you need me." He whispered.

"Thank you." I pulled away slightly.

"I'll let you get some rest." He smiled.

"Goodnight." I smiled, still in his arms.

"Goodnight." Peter surprised me with a kiss on my cheek, quickly pulling away walking into his apartment.

I smiled to myself as I opened my apartment door. I felt the weight on my shoulders slowly creep up on me as the dark empty apartment greeted me. I turned on the lights, stashed the money in my closet, climbed into bed, and tried my best to get some rest.