Chapter 2: Celebration

I took Newts hand in my own. All the gladers, including me and Newt, stood patiently waiting for the box to arrive. Around half an hour after we began waiting the large metal doors parted, allowing us to finally take a look inside the box. A boy was there, trembling in fright, quickly glancing at each of the boys faces. Sweat matted his hair and his face was red from tears. His eyes widened even more. He opened his mouth to say something but nothing came out.
"Hey Greenie," Alby spoke up, breaking the silence. "Welcome to the Glade."

After getting him out the box he looked around a little longer, taking everything in, before something inside him seemed to click. Almost immediately the questions started flowing.
"Where am I? Who are you people? What's going on? What's the glade? Are you gonna hurt me? Have I done something wrong? Wait.. why cant I remember anything?" It was all a blur and thankfully, he didn't really notice me. Being the only girl in the glade usually sprung up more questions. Newt let go of my hand and helped Alby calm him down, telling him that everything would be explained as soon as possible. Someone tapped me on the shoulder, breaking my focus from the greenie.
"So how you like the new green bean?" Minho laughed. I shrugged.
"I don't really know him yet so ya know." I looked back at the newbie and hoped that he wouldn't turn into a massive jerk. It was only halfway through the day so Alby announced that he would give the greenie the tour and that everyone should get back to their jobs. Little by little, the gladers went back to their jobs. Minho stuck around for a second before whispering in my ear, "See ya round shank." I turned around and grinned at him as he ran off towards the map room. Soon, everyone had gone, leaving me, Newt, Alby and the greenie.
"Woah," the newbie stared at me, standing straighter than before, a strange glimmer of light in his eyes. "Who is she? I thought there were only boys here." I smiled at him even though being pointed made me feel a little uncomfortable. Before I could speak, Newt stepped up for me.
"Thats (y/n). She's the only girl in the glade. We don't know why, she just is." He paused and then added, "And dont even think of making any moves on her." The boy looked baffled.
"Why?" He asked, almost sounding offended. Newt laughed.
"Because she's mine." He walked over to me and slipped his arm around my waist. I felt myself blushing and childishly grinning. The newbie narrowed his eyes at Newt but then smiled kindly.
"OK."
"Come on slinthead. Time for the tour," Alby grabbed his wrist.
"Wait, can't she give me the tour," he points at me. I just stand there, not really sure what to say or do.
"Nope," Newt drags me to the gardens, happy that I could both get away from the awkwardness.

Once again, I found myself messing around with Newt whilst we were supposed to be working. Hey, I couldn't help it.
"You are trouble," he grinned. I just smirked at him as I pulled into a passionate kiss, my hands finding their way to his golden hair. Another burst of warmth erupted in my chest, making me crave for more. He pulled away and I bit my lip, wanting him to kiss me again.
"So what you think of the new greenie?" I couldn't tell if he was messing with me or if he was being serious, "Because he seemed to like you quite a bit." I sighed.
"He's just being like the others were when they first came. I am the only girl here after all," I pause, thinking about the newbie, "I think he's gonna be nice. And I think we're gonna be pretty good friends with him." I smiled. Newt frowned, "I just don't want to lose you... because I know for a fact that a load of the shanks in the glade are better than me. More attractive then me. Have more fun and jokes with you than I do." I opened your mouth in disbelief. Why would Newt say anything like this?
"Newt I chose you. And I love you.  You are hilarious and sweet and kind and.. and amazing. Absolutely amazing. I- I love you. A lot." He gave a me a small smile and added, "And you are way too good for me." I shook my head.
"Newt. Shut. Up. You are perfect in every way shape and form. You are perfect. Perfect for me. You can have me for as long as either of us lives." He looked up at me, the biggest smile on his face, a tear rolling down his cheek. I wiped away the tear with my thumb and pulled him into a kiss. I wished that kiss could last forever.

In celebration of the new greenie we had a huge bonfire, like we do every month. After the keepers lit the huge mound of wood, people started dancing around, cheering and singing. Some people were gathered around the wrestling pit and others were just sat around the fire, like I was. I sat on one of the logs alone, enjoying my own company, a mug of Gally's special concoction in my hands.
"Hey princess, liking my special drink?" Gally sat next to me, grinning. I nodded whilst laughing.
"Would have expected you to be in the wrestling pit, ya know, you being all strong, powerful and unbeatable. What happened? Did someone finally beat you?" I teased. He shook his head and laughed. Gally either made me hate him or love, half the time being the biggest shank I've met and the other half of the time being sweet. Maybe it was the changing that made him like that, maybe he was born that way.
"Nah, just got a little boring so I decided to come and sit next to a certain someone. You looked lonely anyway," he smiled.
"Well, thank you."
Soon enough, the normal group had found their way to the log and were just enjoying the heat of the fire. Newt was sat behind me, playing with my hair; Gally was still sat next to me, his head leaning against mine in a friendly manner; Minho was sat on my other side, every now and then cracking a dumb joke that was so stupid it made me actually laugh. Others were around the log as well like Ben, Frypan, Jeff and Alby. All of a sudden I felt someone looking at me. I looked around the group and realised it was none of them. I was about to shrug it off when I noticed the green bean staring at me from the other side of the fire. I made eye contact with him but he looked away, a vibrant blush consuming his entire face. I smiled and stood up, startling everyone around me.
"Chill, I'm just gonna go talk to the greenie."
I plopped down beside him and smiled.
"Hey."
"Oh.. hey. (Y/n) right?" He smiled back but he was still blushing like crazy.
"Yeah, you ok?" I asked.
"Im good actually, now that you're here. I was kinda lonely. Oh, by the way I remember my name," he grinned, "It's Thomas."
"Thomas. It suits ya," I grinned. I looked at him and he looked straight back at me. He was actually really nice.
"You know... you're really pretty. Like.. reeaally pretty," he said, exaggerating the 'really'. I laughed playfully.
"Thanks but I'm not that good."
"What? Yes you are! You're amazing." I blushed slightly and smiled, looking up into his eyes. He shuffled a little closer and shivered.
"You seem real close to all those guys. I bet they all have a crush on you," Thomas sighed. I looked at the ground.
"They could but I don't think they do. Anyway, I have my Newtie so ya know... they can't really get with me," I smiled, looking at Newt who was playing with a shard of grass, looking incredibly cute and innocent.
"Really? You could do so much better than him." I looked at him, eyebrows raised.
"Well, he's perfect for me."
"Sorry, that was a really shitty thing to say. I'm sorry." I smiled again.
"It's ok." I stood up to leave but before I did I placed a soft, sweet kiss on Thomas' cheek. He put his hand in the place where I kissed him and smirked. I quickly walked away, ashamed of what came over me. I completely regretted kissing him, even if it was just on the cheek. I walked over to the other boys and told them I was going to bed.
"Can I come with you?" Newt asked, grabbing my hand softly. I smiled and nodded, glad that I would have his company tonight. I looked back and waved at the others as Newt wrapped his arm around me. I got lost in his warmth and, thankfully, completely forgot about the newest arrival.