Chapter Three: Safe Haven

"Cody," Rue started, "how is this even possibly happening?" Cody marveled at this question. After all, he was just a teenager, a smart but weird teenager. How was he supposed to know? However, he did understand what she was going through, for he was in the same boat. If he thought hard enough, the answer must have come out somehow.

"There are multiple possibilities, Rue. It could be a science experiment gone wrong, or it could be a religious thing." Tyrell said, breaking the silence. Out of all of the problems that have come amok, Tyrell seemed to care only about his own well-bring. He hadn't asked about his mother, nor his father. He had no care for anything but himself. Rue held back her anger, but could not hold back her thoughts.

"Listen, boy," she pointed her finger toward him, though it was difficult to be stern with someone nearly as tall, yet years younger than you. "there's more people in this world than yourself. I, for one, am forced to take care of you, a boy who cares about nothing but his own-" causing the house to fall silent was an angry groan from outside the kitchen window. A high pitched cry came from the brown, small lips of Lyza, who was later scooped up into Rue's arms.

Cody placed himself in front of the scared group of three, and slowly walked backwards into the corner of the room. The groaning grew louder and louder as it reached the front door. Rue had two choices to make: kill it, or hide. She shared a glance with Cody, who mouthed, "Go upstairs." Rue quickly shook her head and replied, "I'm not leaving you." Cody smiled, then formulated another plan. He scoured the room for something to throw and found one of Lyza's dolls on the ground. Without thinking, he picked it up and walked towards the window, avoiding the frantic glare of Rue.

He slowly opened the window, attempting to be silent, and threw the doll out of the house, landing on the dog house outside. The groaning man darted toward it fast, even though it was lumping just before. Rue thought, after the infection flows through the veins, it acts as a poison, but perhaps...after death, it enhances the host's body? Rue had no definite idea, but she couldn't help but want to analyze these creatures. As soon as the creature ran towards the doll, Rue took the kids and ran upstairs. She, along with Cody, both struggled to open the attic door, unable to budge it open. It must have been pushed out by something heavy on the inside. Rue looked down at Lyza, her eyes filled with fear.

"Stay here." Rue whispered to Cody, "I know where the keys are." Cody nodded his head slowly, taking Lyza in his arms and motioning his head to Tyrell, who scoffed and folded his arms.

"I'm going with Rue." He says with content. "I don't know you." Rue looked down at him in confusion, sharing the same expression as Cody. He could be useful as a distraction, Rue thought.

"Fine." Rue said. "Cody, protect my sister."

"OF course." Cody nodded, and then picked up Lyza and hid her head in his shoulder. "I got you."

"Let's go." Rue said to Tyrell, who replied with a nod. She went down to the stairs first, slow enough for her to scan the windows. She hadn't seen the creature, but she could hear its groan and growl that grew in malice. Rue thought about a time when her mother and father were still together. Back then, every day was bright. Everyone was playful, and they always had talks during dinner about how their day was. One day, her mother and father were packing up after Christmas, and they stored baubles and ornaments in the attic. Her mother lost the key and suspected that her husband had it, while her husband thought that she had it. And yet, all the while, it was sitting in their bedside drawer.

"That's it!" Rue said, maintaining a low voice. Tyrell was startled a bit by her sudden realization, and tugged her shirt.

"What is it?" He asked in a monotone voice, as he pushes his glasses up his face.

"They keys," Rue responded," They're downstairs , in my mother's room." Tyrell nodded and looked toward the brown front door.

"I'll watch you. He said, Rue was unsure if it was for him, or for her. Regardless, she had worried about her sister.