Chapter 22: Almost Christmas

Start from the beginning

With the question, Snape voice constricted in his throat. He looked down at the boy, and realized that yes, he'll try to be there. The boy's parents Entrusted this boy to him. He realized that they will always be a part of each other, no matter what Fate befall on them.

With strong conviction and decision made, Snape said, "Of course. Always."

---

The first shop smelt old and worn, but it was a good kind of old. Inside were different rolls of parchments and quills, each in different colors and in different bird feathers. Brandon brightened up as soon as he realised where he was, "A Parchment Shop!"

"Aye, lad! A parchment and quill shop! 'Tis owned by me," A man that resembled a pirate welcomed the pair of professor and student behind the counter, "Hello, Severus. Came to pick up your order?"

"Actually, yes, Hellionsheathe. I did came to pick up my order," Snape's everpresent drawl answered the Pirate, "and of course, my apprentice would like to introduce himself. Don't you, Mister Dursely?"

The man then laughed, showing his big belly underneath his red shirt, "An Apprentice, eh, Severus? Say lad, what did the Perfessor made you eat jest to make you say 'yes'?"

A bit outraged at the accusation and not knowing it was for fun, Bran stepped with a red face, "Professor didn't make me do or eat or drink anything! And for your information, sir, he is one of the most brilliant people I've ever met!"

The two men in front of him stared at Bran like he had grown two heads. With another hearty laugh, Hellionsheath exited the counter and put a hand on Bran's shoulder, "Oh, Severus! You should never upset this little beast, I tell yah!"

With an amused smirk, Snape brought down a hand and ruffled Bran's hair playfully, "Oh, I don't intend to. Come now, child, Mister Hellionsheathe was just having fun with you. We are friends, see. I had happen to sail with him once."

Dumbfounded, Bran proceeded to say sorry to the Pirate with a red face. The man only laughed again and Snape placed a comfortimg hand on Bran's shoulders.

The man, Hellionsheathe, extended a hand and Bran took it, embarassed at his sudden outburst.

"Now, don't be like that laddie! Me name's Hellionsheathe, Oaktree Hellionsheathe. I'm a descendant of voyagers and warriors. I was once a pirate of the seas, but now, I've resorted to parchment and quills. You are?"

Bean gulped and looked up at the Professor, who nodded firmly as if encouraging him, "Hello. Uhm... I'm Brandon Dursely. You may call me Bran. I don't really think I'm a descendant of greatness, though. But, I'm pleased to be of your acquaintance. I hope I didn't offend you from my outburst earlier."

Another hearty laugh, "Oh, laddie," to Severus he said, "This boy is good mannered, ain't he, Severus? Don't worry child, I won't take offense over such a pity reason. Now, you say you're the Professor's apprentice, eh?"

At the question, Bran grew even redder. He's not really Snape's apprentice, isn't he? It's just a façade. A cover-up, because Snape- nor anybody would ever want him again.

To his surprise, Snape said, "Yes. But he's even more than that, Hellionsheathe. This boy... Is my ward."

Bran might have imagined it, but he would rather want to make that imagination come true more than anything, for he could sense the pride in Snape's voice as he said those wprds. It was as if Snape really wanted him. Like he was no charity case.

"Oh, I see. Very good for the both of you then, Snape. I hope you'll treat him well," Heallionsheathe said, beaming, "But I think you did not both here to dally. Come, come. Your package is ready."