Chapter One - Ravencroft Manor

The unmistakable sound of heels could be heard  strutting on cobblestones followed by a deep sigh as a bag dropped to  the ground

The unmistakable sound of heels could be heard strutting on cobblestones followed by a deep sigh as a bag dropped to the ground. The handle clicked and the woman walked towards what she hoped would be her saving grace, but in fact was her final resting place.

She walked up to the giant studded oak doors, running her fingers over the studs she examined the intricate designs carved into the wood. She noticed the faded letters MS engraved on the border of the door. She flicked her long blonde hair over her shoulder, pulling an antique doorbell. She could hear movement on the other side as footsteps echoed from within. The brass door knob twisted and opened revealing a tall man dressed immaculately in black. His laughter lines creased as he smiled.

"Welcome to Ravencroft Manor," he announced, as he stepped aside allowing her in.

The echo of her heels on slate stone filled the  foyer as she made her way up to the large oak desk in the centre

The echo of her heels on slate stone filled the foyer as she made her way up to the large oak desk in the centre. The woman looked at the bell sitting on the red leather inlaid oak table and grinned. Ding! The sound echoed as she pushed the bell. From the back of the foyer came a man swiftly. He stood at the desk looking into the woman's hazel eyes.

"I was taking care of something in the gardens," he explained, staring at her.

"I called in earlier," she said lifting her right leg backward, adjusting the strap on her high heel. "I'm Melanie."

The man ran his index finger over the bookings to find her name and looked up. "Found you," he replied retrieving a large book from under the counter. "If you don't mind just signing yourself in..." he gestured to her.

She smiled as he handed her a quill. "How authentic," she said mockingly as she signed her name. She noticed the name above hers was smudged out. "I didn't get your name..." she said, pushing the book back over to him.

"I'm Peter," he introduced himself, as the man dressed in black came and stood beside him, "and this is Stuart. He will take care of whatever you need."