"How about 'yes, thank you,'"  Heyes told her. 

She couldn't control the laughter that bubbled up inside her.  "Alright, yes, thank you."  She laughed out as she threw her arms around Big Mac's neck and kissed his cheek. 

Pat McCreedy blushed slightly at the young woman's display of gratitude. "Well, that settles it then.  You'll all stay here starting tonight.  And tomorrow we're going into town and see about getting you all the things a young lady needs.  Dresses and stockings and hats and all those  things like that.  My gift to you."

Again Evie didn't know what to say.

"I knew you had another reason for bringing us out here.  And I always knew you were just a big old softy, Mac,"  Heyes said to the older gentleman as he shook his hand in appreciation for what he was doing for Evie.    "We  had to go into town tomorrow anyway and report everything that happened to Evie and her family.  We were kinda hoping you'd go along with us to the sheriff's office."

"Oh, sure.  And don't forget, Thaddeus, if the sheriff asks, you're my nephew."

Evie looked at the three men, puzzled.  "It's a long story,"  the Kid said. 

                                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was getting late.  She had expected them back by now.  They had been gone three days this time.  Usually they would only be gone two days and would come back with at least two mustangs.  But a few times they had come back with as many as five.  She was always happy to see three or more.   That meant they were closer to their goal of fifteen mustangs and the end of the times she and Hannibal had to be apart.  She had begun more and more over the last month since they'd been at Big Mac's ranch to think of him as Hannibal.  That's who he really was after all.  But she only called him that in private moments when they were alone.  Which wasn't often.  The only time they were ever allowed to be alone was at the end of the evening when Hannibal would say good night to her on the front porch before he retired to the bunkhouse.

When the boys were out wrangling mustangs, she spent most of her days helping Georgia with the household chores and preparing meals.  Most of  her evenings she spent reading from the enormous collection of books in the library.  But she ended every day with at least an hour at the piano.   If she couldn't have her cowboy here at least she had her music.  The nights when he was gone were the longest nights for her.  She had never been apart from him for this long before and she missed him so.  

As she sat and watched the sun fall further and further towards the western horizon,  her spirits fell as well.  The sun would be gone soon.  She knew if they weren't here by sunset, they probably wouldn't be back until tomorrow.  That thought made her breathe a little funny.  It was as if the thought of being apart from him knocked the breath from her.  She could feel the twinge of sadness starting to take root inside of her as she faced the probability of another night without seeing his face and hearing his voice.  Another night without one of his goodnight kisses that he always gave her on the  front porch before he followed Kid to the bunkhouse for the night.   Kisses that were lasting longer and  growing deeper each time they shared one.   Thinking of his kisses made her miss him to the point of physical aching.  God, please let them come home tonight.   Her small prayer was answered immediately as she saw the two familiar riders coming down the hill towards the front gate of the ranch.

She ran to meet them.  Heyes leaped from this horse's back to sweep her up and into his arms. Their lips met in a lingering kiss.   "I've missed you so much,"  she said, out of breath.  "What took you so long this time?" 

"Take a look."   She followed his gaze to where Kid still sat in the saddle holding onto two ropes.  Attached to those ropes were two horses.  One was an average sized red and white pinto mare, a beauty who would probably be used for breeding.  But the other one made her gasp.   "You got him!" she exclaimed with excitement.  It was the black stallion.

He pranced and jerked his head defiantly against his leads.  He was not a happy animal right now.  It was all Kid could do to keep him under control.  "We better get him in the stables before he gets too out of hand,"  Heyes said as he remounted and took the stallions leads from Kid.  Evie gave them a wide berth as she knew the mustangs were unpredictable when they first brought them in.  And this horse was large, powerful and mad.