Chapter Ten

Kyle lies in the uncomfortable hospital bed in a ward full of other teenagers, all of them here for various reasons. He is so ashamed of his actions that he couldn't even find the words to apologise to him parents with, or to the doctors for having to save him. His parents were far from happy with him, but they were just relieved that he is okay, that they still have their Kyle with them. Apparently, he had done quite the job on his arm, severing one of the veins in his arms which lead to a lot of blood loss. Kyle didn't care- it stopped the voice.

He has been pretending to sleep for quite a while now. Since they had gotten him stable, they had told him to rest in order for his body to recover the lost blood. His parents are by his bedside talking to the doctor, but he wishes Dan was there. He just wants to see him, to be told that everything will be okay. 

"Has Kyle's medical history changed over the past five years which may have caused this?" The doctor questions, a note board in hand. Kyle's parents did find it suspicious that their son had never self-harmed before (not that they know of), yet now he's done this.

They explain the families situation; how Kyle got diagnosed with OCD and he says there's a voice in his head which makes him do things he doesn't want to do. Kyle keeps his eyes shut throughout the conversation, but he can feel himself on the verge of crying.

The doctor leaves a few moments later and the parents are left with their 'sleeping' son. Kyle's mum runs her hand through her son's hair.

"You know that boy Kyle brought over the other day? His name was Dan," she questions her husband, looking at how pale Kyle's skin has gone. Mr Simmons nods.

"Yeah," He says quietly, "The boy with the hair." 

"I think they might be something more than friends," she says, running her thumb over Kyle's knuckles. "Don't ask me how. It's a mothers instinct. I just want him to tell us. To trust us." 

Mr Simmons shakes his head. "He doesn't need to tell us. Let him be happy, let him bring Dan to us one day and say that they're in a relationship and leave it at that. If you want them to feel normal about it in today's society, then treat them normally." There's a pause in the air before they continue. "Should we call him? Daniel, I mean." 

Mrs Simmons is crying outside Kyle's hospital ward when Dan arrives, and he wastes no time in comforting her, letting her cry on his shoulder. He's only met the woman a handful of times, but she's so distraught that it's clear she needs some love and support. Dan knows she just doesn't want Kyle to see her like this.

"Hey, come on. It's okay. Kyle is okay- he's alive, isn't he? And he needs you and his father to be there for him more than ever." Dan hates what Kyle has done, but he suspects it wasn't his own choice to carry out such an action. He knows he should have gone over to Kyle's house as soon as he made an abrupt end to their call, but he never did. He hates himself for that.

"I just can't believe he'd do this," she whispers in a hurt voice, feeling Dan's hand as it rubs circles on his back. If her sone was going to be the boyfriend of any boy, she's both happy and proud that it Dan. "I thought he was okay, Dan. I thought we were going to be okay, and he would be happy. That's all I want for him, and I'm a failing mother if I can't even make him happy." 

"You know it's not your fault. You know there's a voice inside of his head, and it's trial and error to see if it will go away. And one day it will, and you will all be happy. Kyle will be happy." Dan tells her, trying to peek through the door to see if he can see Kyle, but he's unsuccessful.

The pair fall quiet until the door opens and Mr Simmons appears there. "Oh, Dan, I'm glad your here. Kyle wants to see you." 

When his boyfriend reaches his bed, Kyle reaches his arms up to grab Dan's face, and pulls him down to his lips. He doesn't care who it around him to see- he's already fucked up enough.

"You scared me, you idiot," Dan laughs, tears appearing in his own eyes. It was easier to act strong before he actually saw Kyle.

"I'm sorry," Kyle whispers, tears in his own eyes. Dan grabs his hand and kisses his knuckles as he sits down.

"I know this isn't your fault, Kyle." Dan tells him, leaning forward so he doesn't have to speak loudly. "The voice is back, isn't it?" 

Kyle nods slowly, casting his eyes down. "It's worse now, Dan. I can see him..."