chapter four; SKY DIVING

It's funny how horrible things can happen anywhere, all over the world.

You might think that large cities offer great room and many hideout possibilities for criminal activity. It's only logical to automatically assume a bigger mass of people in a big city automatically, through average percentages, make up a bigger mass of criminals.

Then again, it's often said how small towns have the worst incidents, how some people over there tend to be just as – perhaps even more – sketchy and shady as those enjoying high technology and great big buildings scraping the sky.

In conclusion, both statements and theories linger some truth. Generally, there's crime anywhere in the world, no matter where you look. At the very least, you'll always be successful when trying to find drama or scandals.

Whether all of the things mentioned above truly are "horrible", however, is for everyone themselves to judge.

Naturally, a great majority would immediately say they prefer peace over war and kindness over those who are mean. Naturally, a great majority would agree that criminals are bad people and that you have to act like a saint to be worth something in this society.

However, it's also only natural for every single human being to have secrets, to have flaws, to have done something in their lives that they might or might not be proud of. Something that is considered to be crime, considered to be mean, considered to make you be the lowest of low, the filth in this society and far from being a saint or an angel.

Being very well aware of that, Izaya much rather thinks of these calamities and "bad" behavior of people simply humorous and entertaining. He's not interested in waving and hitting the gavel. He's not into judging the acts of others.

All he wants to do, is observe. Lean back and enjoy the show.

Even though sometimes he just can't help his inner devilish jokester. Intervening can provide him with just as much fun.

Besides, once your eyes catch something of your interest, it's no surprise to feel like you have a fish on the hook and would love to reel it in.

In this case the fish on the hook is the new transfer student Takenaka Reika. The literal sea you would find her in is her boyfriend Kaito.

Izaya can't help but smirk at the coincidence of how fitting his name is for the situation. Arashi Kaito, which is written with the Kanji of storm, sea and Big Dipper, couldn't be more appropriate.

During his research, Izaya did find information that would definitely fit the image of a chaotic storm in a seemingly wide open ocean. Information that might serve him as bait for the fish, in fact.

Coming back to the topic from earlier, you'd just have to take Ikebukuro as a metaphor for the large ocean, full of small segments filled with dangerous spots. Seas if you will. Dangerous seas like Kaito. And people involved in everything all too much, people like Reika, who's near to drowning if she happens to keep dipping into the lowest of low.

"Fancy meeting you here, Reika-san," he smiles at the girl who, for a change of the deep and dark holes of her sea, happens to desperately grasp at and catch for fresh air on the school's rooftop, apparently.

She's sitting on one of the benches near the entrance to the roof, close to the fences at the edges and right in the only spot the sun can reach. If it weren't for Orihara Izaya, that is.

Before he even spoke up, she rose her head upon no longer feeling warm rays of sunshine on her face, only to have her eyes meet those of none other than the guy who seems to be bugging her whenever he can.