chapter one; IDLE INTERRUPTED

"Have you heard?"

The boy leans back a little and his eyes flutter open slowly, his gaze thus meeting the figure of his best friend– if you even could name their relationship as such.

Some people would probably define a person you hang out with on the roof top every lunch break a best friend. It doesn't feel like the accurate term for them, though. Not that they can't stand each other, their company is just casual to each other, a little detached, but definitely not hostile.

"What a silly question, Shinra," he sighs in response and grabs the small juice carton he's being offered. "You do know who you're talking to, right?"

Shinra sits down beside him and the raven catches him rolling his eyes while he does.

"A simple yes would have been enough, oh mighty king of school grounds." he jokes around and pushes his glasses to the bridge of his nose.

Even though he was clearly exaggerating, he wasn't entirely wrong either. Orihara Izaya indeed is, as people call him, the king of Raijin Academy campus. He doesn't mind the title in particular; in fact, he finds it to be quite charming to an extent.

"What exactly is it you're referring to exactly, anyway? There's the affair between Takeuchi-san from class 1-B and her homeroom teacher. Or do you mean the expulsion–"

"I'm talking about the new transfer student. They're– wait, Takeuichi-san is having an affair with her homeroom teacher?"

"Ahh, yeah. I heard she will join our class later today," Izaya nods and takes a sip from his boxed orange juice, completely ignoring Shinra's curiosity.

"So it's a girl?" the boy asked and immediately receives a signature smirk in return. "What's up with that smirk? I have Celty, you know? If anything, you would be more likely to –"

Izaya laughs before his friend even gets to finish the sentence. He shakes his head and shows a wide grin. "Well, I can't deny it. Naturally, I am pretty interested in that girl. Just not in that way, it's your job to be a pervert, not mine."

"Oh yeah? Well, you're the creep out of the two of us."

The raven chuckles, before squishing the juice in his hand. He doesn't throw a comment back at him. There's no point in doing so. Many people think of Izaya as a creep and again, he doesn't mind.

All he cares about is remaining his current position, detached from people, but still close to them. Analyzing them from a safe distance and watching them move around like ants. It's fascinating to him that each individual has a own story to tell and he wants to know about all of them. The transfer student is no exception.

The rumors spread a few days ago and roamed through the hallways nonstop. It's not simply his hobby to observe people. It's his role, his duty, his job at Raijin Academy. He's actually been payed for gathering information on others numerous times already. Even though he's not in for the money, it's a nice addition, clearly.

"Classes start soon," Shinra states upon a quick glance to his watch.

Izaya tosses his empty drink inside the nearest trash bin and stands up a little too fast. It earns him an irritated expression of his friend and he just smirks in return. It's unusual for him to get to class this early, but clearly, he's eager. While he might appear as calm and collected as ever, he's excited.

If he had to admit, he would have to say he's beyond curious and can't wait to see the new student; his new toy. But he does not openly admit it.

Who could blame him though, honestly? It sounds promising, so it should not be a surprise he's hooked on the idea.