chapter two; COMMUNICATION

Impatient tips of digits continue to tap on the wooden surface. While his left hand is busy drumming a weird rhythm onto his desk, his other hand supports his chin, which rests in said ivory palm. 

"Annoying," the raven grumbles.

Shinra had never seen his best friend this troubled before. The fact that the school ground's king is in deep thoughts is not surprising and actually old news, but his tensed muscles, his nervous motions, the furrowed brows and displeased expression confuse not only his friend, but the other students as well.

"Are you not hungry?" four eyes hesitantly speaks while gesturing to the lunch Izaya has not even touched yet.

Izaya, however, does not reply. In fact, he probably isn't even listening properly as his focus remains solely on the girl's figure. It bothers him to an almost painful degree – The fact, that he couldn't find out more about her, that is.

Shinra's gaze follows that of Izaya's and he turns his head to the same direction, eyes then meeting the new student as well.

The girl, Reika, is sitting quietly at the end of a lunch table. Two other students sit at the other end, but they aren't talking to her at all. Her expression shows no emotion of discourage nor happiness. She appears neutral as ever, not excited, not displeased.

As the long haired girl takes another bite from her food, her head suddenly shoots up and she raises an eyebrow while looking right in the direction of the two boys eyeing her curiously.

Shinra flinches, the sudden – even though minor – act of the transfer student startling him slightly and causing him to immediately avert his gaze, having it trail off to his classmate next to him instead.

Many thoughts cross his mind on what to say to him. Heck, the biggest and most loudest one has him try hard to not scream it at the boy.

'She's scary, Izaya! Quit staring at her or else she will come here or something.'

While those are his honest thoughts about that girl, he knows it wouldn't be any use to tell Orihara Izaya to stop messing with her. In fact, it would probably just spur him to immediately switch to the straight-forward method, him being the stubborn and always teasing guy he is.

Most importantly though, it would never make sense to even try telling him to keep away from anyone – especially if they clearly caught his interest like that.

And who could blame him for being so intrigued in Takenaka Reika. The girl sticks out like a sore thumb with her mixed vibes, appearing somewhat distant, somewhat cold, yet nowhere near a rebellious troublemaker. Thinking about that, Shinra can't help but notice she seems somewhat similar to Izaya himself.

On a different note, the atmosphere throws sparks, hostile ones, and Shinra sitting right between the two lightning strikes that are the persistent glares of the mysterious new student and Raijin Academy's information selling detective, feels more and more uneasy with each second passing.

"Hey, don't you think–" he hesitantly whispers to Izaya, tries to at least, but is interrupted by him.

"Be right back."

The brunette blinks and adjusts his glasses, a habit of his when confused, as he watches his friend stand from his seat.

"What do you mean– wait, what are you trying to do?!"

Though the irritation disappears from Shinra's expression, it's replaced by shock and terror as he watches Izaya casually shove his hands into the pockets of his black jet trousers and walks up to the girl.