27. Vampires and Library Books

Zacznij od początku

  "No, we are just wasting time. " He shakes his head, stepping up to the car and leaning against it as well.

  "Finally, something we both agree on." I grumble, earning myself another glare.

  "He said it is on the edge of the grounds, what if it's in the forest?" He reasons, keeping us on subject.

  "Then wouldn't he say that?" I argue, yet my eyes are pulled to the line of trees surrounding us.

  The trunks stand tall and foreboding, fending off any possible intruders. A gentle breeze rustles the dying leaves, their screams echoing in the empty night. The waning moon does its best to illuminate the night, but the thick branches fight against its light. Shadows rule this part of the earth, banishing any thoughts of comfort and safety.

  I strain to see beyond, but the night holds a tight grasp on its secrets. A chill courses through my bones as I eye the mysterious darkness. On a night like this, it would be far too easy for someone to hide, for someone to sit and watch from afar. Once more I study the emptiness surrounding us, searching for any signs of life.

  "He is freaking out, might have gotten things mixed up in his panic." Stefan offers, not paying any attention to our eerie surroundings.

  "And who's fault is that." I jibe, forcing myself to focus on the conversations once more.

  "Well, what would you have done, Damon?" Stefan sighs, opening his door and siding into the passenger seat.

  "You know very well what I would have done." I answer, following his lead and sitting behind the wheal, "I would have compelled him and dropped his ass in the town over." I finish by slamming my door shut.

  "Damon," Stefan shakes his head in disappointment.

  "Come on," I smirk, "tell me this wouldn't be easier without him."

  "You just don't like him because he flirts with Reza." Stefan counters, his own lips tugging at the sides as he once again tries to taunt me.

  "This again?" I roll my eyes even as my anger surges at the thought.

  "Seriously though, without him we wouldn't have a direction to look in." Stefan reasons.

  "Well, you know where I stand on that." I grunt, turning the key in the ignition.

  "Maybe we should have brought him along." Stefan confesses reluctantly.

  "And deal with his whining the whole time?" I deflect as I put the car into gear and start driving toward town.

  "I already deal with yours." Stefan teases. I slide him with a sideways glare but decide to let the comment slide. "For real though, if Leo tagged along he could have just showed us where it is."

  "We are not admitting that to the little shit." I grumble, shaking me head defiantly.

  "No, I don't want to go back empty handed." Stefan agrees

  "Where to then?" I ask, taking my foot off the gas, allowing us to slow in case I need to turn around.

  "Well," Stefan thinks for a moment, "there has to be records if there is a crypt."

  "Okay," I nod, stepping on the gas once more, "where do we find them?"

  "While we were searching the town's history in the library, I saw documents on all the properties. I know they had information on the church, but I can't remember if it had all the details on the cemetery."

  "Always enjoy some midnight reading." I push the car to go faster now that we have a destination.