month four

"There has to be someway you can help her!" Spencer screamed, jabbing his pointer finger into the lanky doctor's chest. 

"Please calm down, sir. I can assure you that everyone is doing the best they can. I know that this is in no way fair, but Mae's procedure is very safe and she is in great hands." Doctor McGregor took a step away from the fuming boy. 

Spencer took a wide step back, stumbling into the waiting seat, covering his face with his hands, his mop of curls falling over his eyes. 

"Spencer, get up! It's a big day today."  Mae's bubbly voice pulled Spencer out of his deep sleep. 

"Umpahgahtoah."  He grumbled into his pillow, pulling the blanket over his head. 

"Daddy! Come on, you promised you'd walk me to the bus stop."  A squeaky voice whined, causing a small smile fight it's way onto Spencer's sleepy countenance. 

Sitting up, he observed Mae standing at the foot of the bed, her wild mane of chocolate curls pulled back into a bun, with wispy curls framing her freckle dusted features, her large smile digging deep dimples into the sides of her cheeks. And there, balanced on her left hip,  her angelic features were interrupted by her firetruck colored bed head, was their daughter. 

Kara squirmed out of her mother's grasp, leaping through the air until she collided with a sleepy Spencer.

"Kara, wake up your daddy!" Mae grinned, jumping onto the bed aswell. "Watch out, he has morning breath."

Spencer leaned up, narrowing his eyes playfully at Mae, hugging his daughter to his side.

"Don't make me use the tickle card." He threatened, a grin playing across his face. Kara gasped in horror at the very thought. 

"Spencer, you wouldn't." Mae hissed, starting to get up from the bed, but before she could even move a complete step, Spencer had her pinned on the bed, one of his hands holding her arms above her while he and Kara poked her sides causing her to scream and squirm. 

"Spencer! Stop! I can't- Spencer!" 

"Spencer." A deep voice broke him from his daydream, the voice belonging to Dr. McGregor. "There seems to have been a complication in the surgery, Mae's body reacted poorly to the medication and the baby lost time, and unfortunately even our surgeons weren't able to bring either of them back. I'm so sorry.

***

  "Maybe you were needed up there but we're still unaware as why."